cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a power socket affect SNR?

dannykos
Grafter

Hi all - anyone know for sure whether having my ADSL line master socket at work sited on top of a 2 way plug socket - and a load of other computer cabling etc will badly affect my SNR?? Work is les than 1km from the exchange and has 16db attenuation, but only 14-16db SNR. I live about 1.5km away and get 37 att and 30SNR.

Am seriously considering having BT move my socket away from all that stuff - but am reluctant to pay £200+ or whatever if nothing changes?!

MaxDSL arrives on monday - and i'll have a crap / intermittent connection with these figures..... go on - someone make me do it Smiley
10 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

You certainly ought to have much better SNR than that with that sort of attenuation-- have you had a look at what kittz has to say about it http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Where's the phone master socket or is that what you're referring to as the ADSL master socket-- are they one and the same or is there scope for wiring problems between them? Do you know your router to be good or is it part of the problem-- some seem to cause low SNR?
dannykos
Grafter

yes thanks - read and re-read all that!! I've tried the test socket on the master socket - but i can't swop out the router and try another one as it has all the configurations in for our work connection. I still haven't tried swopping out the cable - but to be honest - if you could see where the master socket is - you'd not be suprised at why i asked the question. It really does look suspect - having the socket directly above a 2 way plug socket and almost next to some big grey BT power adaptor thing :shock:

just wondered really if anyone has had experience of power sockets causing interference. I'll probably get BT out anyhow - just might get grief for it if nothing improves. Not that my boss would understand either way - hasn't got / never even used a computer. (specifying IT kit is really tricky when he starts asking REALLY dumb questions, which i have to answer like i was talking to my 19 month old girl :lol: )
shellsong
Grafter

You could posibly try another router temporarily just to look at the line stats-- you wouldn't need all the work config for that if a short period of downtime was acceptable for the work equipment
dannykos
Grafter

i'll bring in mine from home over the weekend - see if that makes a difference. If not - i'll check with my cable too - failing that it's a BT callout methinks?!! Sad
shellsong
Grafter

Good luck!
vic_newey
Grafter

if the incoming wire to the master comes up the wall rather than thru it the you should be able to unscrew it & move it without disturbing the wires .

I think people think that you are under threat of dire consequences for touching the BT master socket but I have never heard of anyone prosecuted .

Even more interesting is that the BT engineer who came to sort out a line problem for me said why don't you move the master socket into your computer room & promptly gave me a coil of wire & a new v1.0 filtered socket & instructions on how to connect my extensions, When he returned a week later to fit a new line to the pole he popped in to check I had done it properly Tongue
dannykos
Grafter

:shock: wow - best customer support story from BT so far!!

i'll post back once something changes...
dannykos
Grafter

so - to answer my own question:

Q. Can a power socket affect SNR?
A. No

just had BT guy around to move our master socket away from loads of potential interference sources... end result....

no change.

Still have an SNR of 5.5 with attentuation of 16
I know that 6 is the default SNR etc, but that doesn't explain why before max my SNR was only 15 (Att of 16 should yield a much higher figure...)

hmmmm.......
vic_newey
Grafter

I have wondered about the same thing ony in a different way because our phoneline shares the pole with our power line which is 6ft higher.

However I noticed the other day that the rather thick power cable that runs to the top & feeds ours & four other houses runs up our pole directy behind our phone connection so seperated only by the thickness of the pole.
We live in a semi rural road so power is overhead but as I am only 2.4 k from the exchange but my snr is poor so it makes me wonder whether it has any effect
ID
Grafter

The regs state there must be 2" (50mm) between power and data/TV/Telephone cables in an installation or segregated in a screening, unless crossing at right angles. The theory behind this is that a power cables generate eddy currants around them and this can induce a small voltage into the cable laying next to it.

Its been years since i was at college but thats what i remember in laymans