cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can You Make Phone Calls Over B'band?

N/A

Can you by using headset etc, make a phone call, local or whatever over broadband. Without using the services of a system like net2phone which you have to pay for. . i.e. by using a programme to dial a local number direct. ?..
the replies i had to his question did not answer the question at all. i did not ask how the system worked, just weather it was possible to make normal phone callls over broadband. am still non the wiser.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Nope.

These Internet phone services use a gateway service.

These services are simalar to your local BT exchange. They converge all connections, and route them to there destination.

Be it to another computer, or over phone lines to a normal phone.

It costs money regardless, to make a phone call to another phone number, so these have to charge you.

You could use a service like buddy phone (I don't kno if it exists any more). This makes a connection direct, to another persons machine.

So long as they are running the software, they can receive the call.

You could also use services like MSN, or Yahoo! for this.

Another option is to use "MSN Messengers" phone feature.

BT have an offer as one of the providers for this service.

For £10 per month, charged direct to you BT Bill, you can make 600 mins of calls per month via the service. If using BT Together Option 3 (whatever this is), it is only £5 per month.

YOu can on top, obtain software, that will allow you to use you old modem as a voice modem. However, they need to be internal to do this and not all support it (some old serial connection ones provide the outputs too).
N/A

Hi,

Yes, ADSL operates at a different frequency on your telephone line to voice signals so you can make voice calls at the same time as using your ADSL connection. In order to do this you simply need to plug your telephone into a microfilter/splitter which plugs into the telephone socket. This keeps the ADSL and voice signals seperate to ensure you don't get interference when making a voice call.
N/A

Hi,

Yes, ADSL operates at a different frequency on your telephone line to voice signals so you can make voice calls at the same time as using your ADSL connection. In order to do this you simply need to plug your telephone into a microfilter/splitter which plugs into the telephone socket. This keeps the ADSL and voice signals seperate to ensure you don't get interference when making a voice call.

Was that sarcasm?
N/A

Hi,

Was that sarcasm?

I think it's highly likely and more than probable that it was sarcasm
N/A

It wasn't sarcasm to me, rob was just answering the question :roll:
N/A

It wasn't sarcasm to me, rob was just answering the question :roll:
If so, i think he may of misunderstood the question :roll:

Wink