cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I network Home Surf?

N/A

Can I network Home Surf?

I am seriously considering switching to ADSL and the £20.99 rate is very attractive. However, being non-techie, I don't understand the "cans and cants" with this particular product. I had been planning to network my computer with that of my son, so that we can both access, independently, the internet. Would this be possible with this product?

Thanks
11 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Can I network Home Surf?

> I am seriously considering switching to ADSL and the £20.99 rate is very attractive. However, being non-techie, I don't understand the "cans and cants" with this particular product. I had been planning to network my computer with that of my son, so that we can both access, independently, the internet. Would this be possible with this product?
>
> Thanks

There's no reason why not. It all depends on what route you want to take. I you do want to network the PCs together anyway, I'd suggest you pop a couple of cheap 15 quid network cars in an use a simple Gateway/Internet Sharing Application. This is what I have been doing. I have been using Wingate for years - sharing a 56K line. It works well. If you have XP, it has all the Internet sharing built into it.

I get activated tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards

Rob
N/A

Thanks for your reply, Rob
>
> There's no reason why not. It all depends on what route you want to take. I you do want to network the PCs together anyway, I'd suggest you pop a couple of cheap 15 quid network cars in an use a simple Gateway/Internet Sharing Application. This is what I have been doing. I have been using Wingate for years - sharing a 56K line. It works well. If you have XP, it has all the Internet sharing built into it.

Thanks for that (and now I realise I should've been doing this all along!Smiley) The networking I have to find out about though (it's a kinda justification to my husband for the extra cost!). I really was just enquiring as to whether this was "allowed" as I didn't understand the "rules"!!! (No file sharing and all that!).
>
> I get activated tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks - would appreciate that!

Frances
N/A

Further to that, I use Win 98 and Linux OS - my son; just Win 98. Would there be a conflict? Are some routers incompatible with Linux like modems are?

Cheers!

Frances (who is also sitting on an OU forum with her networking questions! *lol*)
N/A

> I really was just enquiring as to whether this was "allowed" as I didn't understand the "rules"!!! (No file sharing and all that!).

Ahh, I see. I can't see a problem. As far as PlusNet are conserned, they are piping X Kbps available to you and it's up to you the way u use it.

I might be wrong.

> >
> > I get activated tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.
>
> Thanks - would appreciate that!
>
> Frances

N/A

> Further to that, I use Win 98 and Linux OS - my son; just Win 98. Would there be a conflict? Are some routers incompatible with Linux like modems are?
>
> Cheers!
>
> Frances (who is also sitting on an OU forum with her networking questions! *lol*)

I don't know much about Linux but I dont think the gateway software mentioned in the other post would work with it.

If you use a router (I use the Dabs/Conexant 4 port modem/router) and all of your PCs use TCP/IP it should be OK. (TCP/IP is not OS specific)

Hope it all goes well,

Casey
N/A

> I don't know much about Linux but I dont think the gateway software mentioned in the other post would work with it.

You're right, Wingate does not suppot LINUX at the mo.

Rob
N/A

>
> > I really was just enquiring as to whether this was "allowed" as I didn't understand the "rules"!!! (No file sharing and all that!).
>
> Ahh, I see. I can't see a problem. As far as PlusNet are conserned, they are piping X Kbps available to you and it's up to you the way u use it.
>
> I might be wrong.
>

Hi All,

This is essentially correct, we do not mind an internet connection being shared in this way.

Good luck in getting your network set up!

Kind Regards,

Richard
--
--
| Richard Allen......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support...............for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd....@ http://www.plus.net
+ ------ My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ------ +
N/A

Hi,

What I've done in the past is put 2 network cards in the linux box at use it as a server. Run DSL into 1 card and connect a hub to other network card. This is a cheaper option than using a router. Plus the linux box works great as a firewall if configured properly. then all u need to do is plug as many pc's as u want into the hub and DCHP the network cards to get an address auotmatically from the Linux machine.

it's a little bit technical but if your son's using Linux he should have no worriesSmiley

good luck and enjoy!

--
Homerlovesbeer mmmmmmmmmm beer
N/A

> > I get activated tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.
>
> Thanks - would appreciate that!
>

Well, had a play over the weekend and...EXCELLENT!!! I ended up using XP's inbuilt internet sharing capability. You can imagine my daughter's reaction to having permanent high speed web on her pc in her bedroom. XP also has firewall included but I also installed Norton Internet Security on my PC for added peace of mind. (That reminds me....PlusNet support, what protection have you got in place your end?)

Anyways, so far, all is perfect. (nice if we could turn the wick up to 2MBps though)

Good luck on your networking venture.

Rob

jberry
Grafter

> (That reminds me....PlusNet support, what protection have you got in place your end?)

Hi Rob,

We don't run any sort of firewalling or general protection from our end purely because it isn't practical.

People will always want to do different things with their firewalls and for us to configure our firewall differently for each static IP, so that we meet each customers individual requirements, would be a huge amount of work.

It would also make the service less flexible as firewall changes would have to be done by the networks department. This would mean that every change would be a ticket in contact us and at least a few hours wait.......

Basically, its easy to run a personall firewall in both Linux or Windows and there is a good range of free software that will do this.

Regards

Josh
--
| Josh Berry......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical and Customer Support.....for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd...........@http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

That make sense...thanks.

On the subject of Static IP, Do all subscribed customers get a static IP? If not, how do I arrange having one? And, Is VPN a possibility? ie Being able to connect to my home PC from the office.

Cheers

Rob

> > (That reminds me....PlusNet support, what protection have you got in place your end?)
>
> Hi Rob,
>
> We don't run any sort of firewalling or general protection from our end purely because it isn't practical.
>
> People will always want to do different things with their firewalls and for us to configure our firewall differently for each static IP, so that we meet each customers individual requirements, would be a huge amount of work.
>
> It would also make the service less flexible as firewall changes would have to be done by the networks department. This would mean that every change would be a ticket in contact us and at least a few hours wait.......
>
> Basically, its easy to run a personall firewall in both Linux or Windows and there is a good range of free software that will do this.
>
> Regards
>
> Josh
> --
> | Josh Berry......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical and Customer Support.....for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd...........@http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
>