cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get 1mb or better connection with Plus.net?

N/A

B.T. say they can only provide me 512 (current package with Plus.net), how can I confirm that if I upgrade I will be able to get the extra bandwidth? Like to know before I commit to more money!
Any help / advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ray :twisted:
7 REPLIES
N/A

As I understand it if you sign up for the 1 or 2 meg and it wont work you money will be refunded. Check the details to be sure
Community Veteran

If you line currently supports 512K then it will most likely support 1Mb now since the line limits were relaxed for 512K and 1Mb speeds in Sept last year (512K has no line limit and 1Mb was to the what 512K used to be - 60dB). However, it is still possible your line attenuation is too high or SNR too low to get the higher speed.

The only way to find out is to place an regrade order for 1Mb via PlusNet and see if it is accepted by BT. If not, you get a full refund and revert back to your current 512K connection. Once BT reject any upgrade there is litle you can do the change their mind.
N/A

Would changing from 512k to 2Mb incur two upgrade fees?

Also, if I opt for 2Mb and it's not possible, but 1Mb is, would I get the option to go for that, or would I have to start again?

Thanks in advance.
Community Veteran

Only one upgrade fee is due as it will be a single upgrade being performed from 512K -> 2Mb.

You can only select one upgrade at a time. So if you try to upgrade to 2Mb and it fails, you have to put in another request to try to upgrade to 1Mb. Each upgrade request will take approx 7 days to complete. What you can do is raise a ticket after putting in the 2Mb upgrade request stating if it does not work, that you want PlusNet try again but upgrading to 1Mb. This will reduce any delays between the first failing and the second request being submitted.

What I would suggest is you raise a contact us ticket and ask PlusNet to perform a woosh test on your line stating you want to know what speed your line will support. This will tell you your line attenuation. If it's <= 43dB, your line should support 2Mb. If it's higher than 43dB but <= 60dB then you line should support 1Mb. If it's higher than 60dB you are stuck on 512K and BT will reject any speed upgrades.
N/A

Peter

Thank you so much for your very helpful reply - I will follow your advice.

Julie
N/A

Something to add,

Before considering upgrading your line, as Peter has already mentioned, it's worth getting a Woosh test performed. If you line is very close / borderline the threshold for either 1Mb or 2Mb, sometimes it's better not to upgrade.

The reason being, the increased speed places an extra demand on your line, and at times this can result in dropouts or slower speeds.

I don't want to put you off, but in a very small number of cases the upgrade has meant a line becoming slighty unstable and losing sync more often.
N/A

Comments noted, gadgetboy., thank you. I've put in the request for the woosh test - I'll check back with you guys, if I may, when I have the outcome.

I'm not terribly optimistic, to be honest!

Thanks
Julie