cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Connect Two Modems?

N/A

I'm currently using my broadband connection downstairs. I have a computer in the attic which I just use (infrequently at the moment) a normal 56k modem to connect to the internet. Would it be OK to connect another ADSL modem upstairs? I don't want to file/print share and am not really interested in a home network. I presume if it is OK the two connections could not be used at the same time. Thanks for any help you can give.
5 REPLIES
N/A

This would be OK, however, I do remember seeing a thread on the old forums regarding 1 small issue.

It seemed, even when 1 computer was off, you also had to unplug the phone cable from the modem. IE, only 1 DSL modem plugged in, regardless of power status.
N/A

Thanks for the info Phil. I'll give it a try.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Why not fit an internal 56k modem if you really need one of these (possibly for fax) then you can happily use both in the same PC, just simply select which one you want at "connect"

Mine works very well like this using a double outlet from the phone wall socket that has an RJ11 DSL socket as well as the standard BT outlet in it, my external ADSL modem was supplied with one of these, but you can get them in PC World for a couple of £ then you can have them both connected at the same time -no scrabbling around changing leads and things- but I don't think you can use them both at the same time -I've never tried-

PL
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

Thanks for the interest but its two ADSL connections I want. I'm just too idle to bugger about with networks for home use. And its cheaper. If it works of course.

Cheers
N/A

It seemed, even when 1 computer was off, you also had to unplug the phone cable from the modem. IE, only 1 DSL modem plugged in, regardless of power status.

acarr is absolutely right here, only one of the modems is allowed to be plugged into the line at a one time or...no sync!

A router is the way to go if you want both pcs on adsl at the same time. nice bit of wireless networking maybe if you don't fancy cabling?