cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONEXANT USB modem

N/A

CONEXANT USB modem

In response to Ian Wild's reply to my topic, I find his response very strange indeed.

In his first paragraph, he states that the reason I could not log on was because I used Capital letters. Apart from the fact that I didn't, I have just tried logging on using Capitals and got on straight away.

In his second paragraph he says that he is sure we can work something out. Five phone calls over two days failed to work anything out. Yes I have contacted the manufacturer and it is not a common problem.

In his third and final paragraph, he states that:-

" the Support team are responsible for ensuring that your ADSL connection is working, we cannot offer specific assistance (Past giving you the neccessary settings) in the configuration of your equipment "

I can understand what he says apart from the fact that, other than the first phone call, each time I called, I suggested it was settings that I needed and each time I was told I was wrong.
To be told to turn off my PC for 30 minutes, then 2 hours, then 48 hours, then phone back after 3.00pm because the guy who phoned BT wasn't on untill then,
Then, after 3.00pm, I was finally told that I must wait until BT cleared the line because I had been " online " for four days continuously, despite the fact that I turn OFF my PC EVERY night without fail.
If my monthly fee does not include technical assistance to be able to connect to the internet, that's fine provided you DO NOT give wrong information on numerous calls over two days.
2 REPLIES
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

RE: CONEXANT USB modem

You may be better asking in the forums at www.adslguide.org

You have a much better chance of getting someone who uses the same setup as you.
fonejacker
Grafter

RE: CONEXANT USB modem

Hi Keith,

I will address this point by point:

> In his first paragraph, he states that the reason I could not log on was because I used Capital letters. Apart from the fact that I didn't, I have just tried logging on using Capitals and got on straight away.

It was BT who informed us that you were using uppercase letters in your username and that this was the problem. This is feasible based on the way ADSL works (See www.adslguide.org.uk/howitworks/ if you would like to know more). In short, BT's authentication server looks at your username and password and then passes it to our own authentication server. When we were checking your account we were seeing no details appearing under your username - BT were not passing your details on. They stated this was due to the use of uppercase letters and may have reconfigured their system as a result...

> In his second paragraph he says that he is sure we can work something out. Five phone calls over two days failed to work anything out. Yes I have contacted the manufacturer and it is not a common problem.

I'm doing my best to help (Which is my job). I offered my assistance in helping us to get to the bottom of your difficulties. You clearly don't have a simple fault, and as with any technical diagnosis it is only by ruling things out that we will arrive at a solution.

> I can understand what he says apart from the fact that, other than the first phone call, each time I called, I suggested it was settings that I needed and each time I was told I was wrong.

To be honest the above doesn't make a lot of sense. Could you clarify which setting you were asking for?

> To be told to turn off my PC for 30 minutes, then 2 hours, then 48 hours, then phone back after 3.00pm because the guy who phoned BT wasn't on untill then,

Turning off your ADSL line for a period of 2 hours allows the line card to reset at the exchange end. This is the most common resolution to DSL problems and is part of the standard DSL troubleshooting.

The systems we have in place mean that you should never have to call back in order to raise a fault to BT and you should never have been told to power down for 48 hours. I will investigate these points further and will take relevant action with the agents concerned.

> Then, after 3.00pm, I was finally told that I must wait until BT cleared the line because I had been " online " for four days continuously, despite the fact that I turn OFF my PC EVERY night without fail.

This is another common problem with DSL, known as a stale session. This occurs because the system misses the "Stop" packet created when you disconnect. As such it looks like you are still connected and won't allow you to connect again. The only way to fix this is to have BT manually fix reset your connection on their network.

> If my monthly fee does not include technical assistance to be able to connect to the internet, that's fine provided you DO NOT give wrong information on numerous calls over two days.

As I said, we are here to help you get connected, and I am happy to work with you to get to the bottom of any problem you are having. This does however require your assistance and co-operation - Troubleshooting ADSL can be tricky due to the nature of the technology and variety of problems that can occur. I'm sorry that you haven't had the experience you expected with regard to this and would be happy to assist you in any way I can...

Please do let me know how you wish to proceed.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support