cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHAP Authentication

N/A

CHAP Authentication

Ok, I'm gonna put it down to a disconnect from BT.

Hopefully it should be sorted out when I move.

Cheers you guys
4 REPLIES
N/A

CHAP Authentication

Last night I got home and went on to check my emails. My connection was down. Fair enough I thought, reboot the router (DG834G) and try again.

Nope. Nothing. CHAP Authentication failed. I went on the net on Wednesday night everything was fine. Not changed a thing. Now nothing.

As I've just managed to get access to a net connection (what good is internet based knowledge bases when you have no connection to the internet?), I see there was some issues with the DNS servers yesterday.

Could that fix my issue? What is this CHAP authentication?

Thanks
Community Veteran

CHAP Authentication

PAP/CHAP is a protocol to allow your router to authenticate and login to PlusNet to verify who you are and to get your IP address assigned etc.

It has nothing to do with DNS as that is not used until the connection is authenticated.

Try some of the toubleshooting tutrials.
N/A

CHAP Authentication

As is normally the way when you lose your internet connection. All the tutorials and trouble shooting guides are online. ooops. Anyway, I know I haven't changed anything config wise, not replaced any hardware, I've checked the hardware connections and everything is fine.

The TCP is allowed to come up, then boom CHAP authentication failed. No email, no internet, no Matrix online.

I am migrating to another ISP and have just gotten notification that my account will be cancelled from tomorrow. Could this be the cause? If it is surely my access should have been disconnected tomorrow not yesterday.

Thanks
N/A

CHAP Authentication

I am migrating to another ISP and have just gotten notification that my account will be cancelled from tomorrow. Could this be the cause? If it is surely my access should have been disconnected tomorrow not yesterday.

It could be this, but honestly I don't know. However since PN are not reporting problems with their ADSL login, this does seem the more likely reason.

I think there are two steps in the ADSL side, one is the PN side, and one is the BT side. The disconnection could refer to the cease action, by BT.