cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye bye Plus.net

N/A

Bye bye Plus.net

Well the time has finally came to wave goodbye to Plus.net.

Over the past couple of months my broadband service has become, to all extants and purposes, unusable, with surfing and downloading speeds equal to those of dial up.

Plus.net have shown no interest in responding to contact about these problems, and as I'm sure many have experienced, getting through to speak to a human on the phone is all but impossible.

I've now decided to cut my losses and move to an alternative broadband supplier, so today I've filled in the form requesting to cancel my account and recieve a MAC code, although I've got a feeling even this simple process is probably going to be ignored, or drawn out to months in length.

I've decided to document my experience with leaving Plus.net here for posterity, should make an interesting read... wish me luck!
20 REPLIES
N/A

Bye bye Plus.net

Yeah, good luck. Your experiences are exactly the same as mine (and probably many, many others). Why do Plusnet think they can continue to treat people in such a shoddy way? They obviously forget that we are the bread and butter of the company and as such deserve to be treated better. If only the Plusnet shareholders knew what a useless ISP they have shares in cos I'm sure if they did they would be bailing out too.
N/A

Bye bye Plus.net

I gave PN my termination notice last week. I have to say that it was relatively painless. Though granted, I am not LLU'd. They confirmed recipt of my termination notice three days after I submitted it and supplied me with the MAC code at the same time.
N/A

Bye bye Plus.net

Currently in the process of leaving at the moment myself..... Had all I can take!
:!:
N/A

Bye bye Plus.net

Connection is going so slowly at the moment I can see why so many are unhappy.

Many websites don't even load at all on the first attempt.
N/A

Leaving PlusNet

I'm also in the queue wanting to leave. Been waiting for 2 weeks now for the MAC key. In the replies to my request I've been informed that there is a problem with corrupted keys being received by their supplier (Tiscali?) from BT. Have also been having erratic problems with connection speed and frequent dropout, very bad again last night. These problems all seemed to relate to when "they" started this update procedure. At least I used to get a consistent connection before!
N/A

Bye bye Plus.net

i have seen it mentioned round & about. What is LLU'd ?
pennymachines
Dabbler

Bye bye Plus.net

I've also decided to bite the bullet and get out while I still can, despite the considerable inconvenience of losing my email address and plusNet webspace. Filling out the cancellation form proved almost impossible with my connection breaking every few minutes and I know getting through on the phone to cancel would be out of the question.
I had to reboot twice to post this message.

Parting message:
The service provided since the so called "upgrade" in July has been appalling. I've wasted hours on the telephone trying to contact your helplines, raising tickets, running numerous tests - all to no avail. It has cost me several hours every day for the last two months. I cannot afford to waste any more time on this.

Broadband is supposed to be an "always on connection". A connection which breaks regularly at random intervals is intolerable and less useful than a dial-up.

I suspect PlusNet management are beginning to rue the day they decided to team up with Tiscali as much as I do.
N/A

Bye bye Plus.net

i have seen it mentioned round & about. What is LLU'd ?

Local Loop Unbundle.

It's a provider other than BT to supply an Internet connection. PN have partnered up with Tiscali to provide that alternative method of connecting to the Internet.
N/A

Bye bye Plus.net

Or disconnecting, whichever way you look at it. I am still on BT and still have an atrocious service. It doesn't really matter who's to blame it's still the same result for the paying customer.
N/A

Bye bye Plus.net

I wish I had looked here earlier. I requested my MAC to transfer to SKY received a mail explaining there might be issues with going back, still no MAC, I cancelled this way all ties severed,Wrong, problem without a MAC I cant get the line moved to any other ISP. I feel this is going to take a while to resolve, although they have upgraded me to free account, WHY?? I didn't ask for it? oh yes that way they keep what can only be described as a lock on my line.Sky keep calling me shame they can't make the request on my behalf.
N/A

Bye bye Plus.net

Unbelievable! Something really does need doing with this industry, it seems to skirt round consumer rights.
N/A

no customer service from plusnet!!!!

I wrote by recorded delivery after almost two months of no broad band and lack of satisfactory response from so called customer service. I had informed them i was canelling my direct debit until they fulfilled their side of our agreement and they locked me out of my account. It was the recorded delivery letter that finally got them to reply to me and open my account. Despite not responding to my latest email to them they are now threatening me with an outside credit collection agency. I am in the process of reporting them to the office of fair trading and and the local ombudsmen. Make sure you print off all correspondence and if at all possible all of you who are having problems please write to the local ombudsman and the office of fair trading.
N/A

Bye bye Plus.net

Well time for a quick update about my attempts to move away from Plusnet to an alternative ISP.

Plusnet are making this very difficult and trying to drag things out as much as possible.

Firstly, they took time to send an inital response to my request to leave them, in fact I even wrote a snail mail letter on paper to Carol Axe, Plusnet's Customer Services manager. It wasn't a very nice letter, and it asked for some answers regarding how they can sleep at night. Needless to say Carol has not responded.

When the support team did respond they told me that to leave I would have to pay a deferred house moving fee, which covers the cost it took to move my broadband when I moved home in July 2005. Of course at the time of my move Plusnet failed to mention anything about this deferred fee and I find myself now in the position of having to pay to leave this terrible company.

Plusnet then told me about a scheme in place which will reduce the cost of the deferred house moving fee of £47.00 by £9.40 per year for each year after the house move. See the page here https://portal.plus.net/features/move_broadband.shtml for all the details.

Well I took consolation in the fact that it's more than a year since I moved my broadband, so at least I'd only have to pay the year two price of £37.60.

But no! According to Plusnet, I am within the first year of my home move! They even gave me the date I moved - 13/07/05 - to support their claim!

I really don't know how July 2005 can be considered to be within a year ago of September 2006 - when I first requested to leave Plusnet. So I'm hoping to hear back from Plusnet with an explanation soon.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Duplicate post removed.
N/A

Bye bye Plus.net

At a cost of £47 to leave I feel I have been conned out of money, considering I never got a reliable service. At no point was any reassurance of an end to this poor service given, It was implied that involving BT to check lines could incur me additional costs. In my opinion it was also implied that two companies linked to PN were to blame. I know when I have been wronged and I think this is one of those occasions.
I have now got a rock steady cable connection including the phone too, and BT have lost a long time customer because of this recent experience. It's been a dreadful consumer experience, one like no other I have ever had.
Good luck to you all who still hang on.