cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye Bye

Joe88
Dabbler

Bye Bye

Right i've finally had enough of these garbage connection speeds,back down so far i cant even load a speedtest.This has been going on, more or less, since December,time for me to save up and buy myself out of this contract.

Sorry for the rant but i'm sick and tired of the same thing happening time and again
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Bye Bye

Sorry for the obvious questions, but..

Have you checked all your equipment to make sure it's not faulty, ie router/modem filters - making sure the sky box is filtered if you have one. Is there a crackling noise on the phone line when you make a voice call?

Have you raised any fault tickets and what were their responses? If you haven't then raise one via http://faults.plus.net

Obviously, I don't work for PlusNet, but I'll try and help you if I can, and if needs be, I'll nudge the right people to see if together, we can't get this sorted out for you.

Roger.
Liam
Grafter

Bye Bye

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties. However, on looking at your account it would appear the most recently raised fault was resolved.

Are you able to visit http://faults.plus.net and provide all the relevant information? We would like to work with you and find out what is wrong if there is currently a problem with your connection. After doing that, the system will run the necessary automated tests and we can arrange an engineer if necessary.

It's important that you rule out everything at your side, however, so please work with us to eliminate all the possibilities.
Joe88
Dabbler

Bye Bye

Thanks Roger,yeah done all the obvious things,but the thing is,it can't always be down to me,i've never once had anyone from plusnet say,"yep theres a prob our end".I don't like being left to find and sort problems that are not of my own making.

I'm having to reboot my router everyday,which incidently is syncing at nearly 2mb less than normal,my "high speed broadband "speed is dropping down further and further,but even if i had what it says i have i'd be happy.I dont,last speed check i could run was less than 200kb
Community Veteran

Bye Bye

Ok.. no problem,

Lets work this through together and see if we can't find out what's going on. it might be something trivial that's causing the problem.

What kind of modem or router are you using, and are you able to post some statistics. I'd also raise a ticket - as you can see I have got Liam on the case too so you've support where you need it.

Some other things to check. Have you got any extensions in your house that have phones connected to them? if so have they all got filters on?

Some other things to check too - remove all the phones from the sockets and plug your router/modem into the master socket (the socket with a line through the middle) if you remove the front faceplate using a small flat blade screwdriver, you'll see a test socket on the right hand side. Once you remove that front face place, all your extensions should be take out of the equation.

Run some speed tests with the modem in the test socket and post the results back. Don't forget to raise a ticket though and post the ticket number here, and I'll keep harrassing the right people. Please bear in mind that not all faults are PlusNets' doing, it might be a badly corroded connection further down the road, water in the line box from the pole.. there are so many variables to this!!!

I'll help you as much as I can if you'll allow me to of course!

KR

Roger.
Joe88
Dabbler

Bye Bye

Righty i have a question,now i'm not computer literate so please have patience.My router is hard wired,with i think it is a long rj 11 ? cable from the telephone socket to my router,would it be better or the same to run that cable at that lengh or the cable that runs from my router to the pc at the longer lengh ?
Joe88
Dabbler

Bye Bye

Ok thank you i'll go do that now
Community Veteran

Bye Bye

Hiya,

We'll be gentle, I promise!

Ok, first things first - the length of the cable from your Modem/Router to your PC won't be the issue, although shorter is better as it reduces signal loss.

Secondly, is your modem/router connected to the telephone socket by a extension reel? again the length of the RJ11 cable from your modem to your socket shouldn't really be an issue here, again though, the shorter the distance, the better!

If you're able to, plug the modem/router into the main master socket directly and disconnect everything else, it would be a great start.
Liam
Grafter

Bye Bye

Would be better to have a shorter length cable (RJ11) to the master socket - and a longer cable (RJ45) to the PC. Simply because internal wiring can degrade the ADSL broadband signal. Especially if it's of a low quality.

We're really sorry that it's necessary to jump through a few hoops to get the fault sorted. This is primarily because the issue is almost always between the exchange and your equipment, or internal to you.

If the problem is internal to you, and past the master socket, then us sending out a BT engineer to locate the fault is not a good use of his time - and therefore BT may charge where the problem is not within their network.

Essentially, we resell connectivity that is provided by BT Wholesale. Every broadband ISP does the same, including BT Broadband. Yes - one department of BT buying a wholesale product from another department. It works like that to ensure it's a level playing field between all providers. We're actually part of BT Retail ourselves (since January this year).

The advice Roger has provided is top notch. I'd specifically like to know if the slow speeds continue when you have nothing else plugged into the line, and the router is directly plugged into the master socket. Also, if you can, with a shorter length internal cable.

Once we rule out all these possibilities, we can book an engineer as necessary - safe in the knowledge that the problem is external to you.
Joe88
Dabbler

Bye Bye

Ok once again ty for the help you guys are giving me,faceplates off and the splitter is directly into the socket behind.Done a few speed tests and instead of 200kb's i'm now getting between 2-5 mb's.I'm gonna leave that off for a few days and change some cables and see how i go.Is that worth doing ?
Community Veteran

Bye Bye

Certainly sounds like a issue with equipment at home then.. could be a dodgy filter or even a dicky phone playing havoc with everything.

I'd now start a process of elimination. Using the test socket, I'd plug each phone you have into the filter you're using with your router and keep monitoring your line stats. Once you have tested your phones and ruled them out, do the same with the filters.
Granted, it's a royal pain in the derriere, I know, but by a process of elimination, you should be able to find out which phone or filter is at fault.

If nothing proves faulty in the test socket, then it could well be a case of a faulty extension. If you know a good electrician, it could be worth asking them nicely to see if they will re-run your extensions for you, which will certainly be a cheaper option than asking BT to do that for you.

Glad we seem to be getting somewhere now...

Roger.
Joe88
Dabbler

Bye Bye

Well thing is i have no extensions,only 1 line and 1 box,using a 5m rj11 to connect the line to the router

Also i forgot to keep the phone unplugged when i was running the latest,better speed tests
Joe88
Dabbler

Bye Bye

Phone is wired and into the splitter as well yes
Community Veteran

Bye Bye

Sounds like it could be a fault with the faceplate socket if the phone is still plugged into the splitter and your downstream rate has increased.....
Liam
Grafter

Bye Bye

So, the cause of the problem could be the extension cable? Or a problem with the faceplate?

Is it inconvenient leaving it setup as is, as it seems we've cured the problem - at least if the phones are in and throughput has increased, we can eliminate them as the cause of the problem.

Try putting the faceplate back if not already, and trying in the main socket.