cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a new router - Solwise SAR715 Or Netgear DG814?

N/A

Buying a new router - Solwise SAR715 Or Netgear DG814?

Hi all,

Hopefully very near to having my PlusNet account activated and I've been looking at possible modem/routers for my setup.

After a great deal of research via forums (adsl-guide) and the web my decision is down to :

1) Solwise SAR715, or
2) Netgear DG814

Could any existing PlusNet customers comment on either of the above - reliability, ease of setup, speed, etc.

The prices are similar and I've heard good things about the support Solwise offer on the SAR715, however most of my current network gear (a small home LAN) is Netgear manufactured (8-port Switch, Wireless Access Point, and Wireless/Wired network cards), so should existing hardware compatibility be a factor to consider too?

Although I work in IT, and consider myself pretty savvy at most stuff, I'm not a networking/telecoms guy so I'm unable to see the benefits/pitfalls of either of these products versus the other beyond what I have viewed in these forums (and at adsl-guide).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Tim.
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Buying a new router - Solwise SAR715 Or Netgear DG814?

HI! I haven't YET got ADSL Sad but I have been trying to keep an eye routers as thats the route Cheesy I'd go.
I've heard lots of good things about the solwise sar715 except for the recent problems BT caused with the exchange upgrades.
Have you seen the Nokia IP55 which you can now get for £99 it seems to have a lot of the same features as the sar715 with a GUI interface.
I'd certainly consider it. Smiley
--
www.billysworld.co.uk
N/A

RE: Buying a new router - Solwise SAR715 Or Netgear DG814?

Oops! forgot the link for you to check it out. http://www.itchest.co.uk/price-crash.asax

--
www.billysworld.co.uk
N/A

RE: Buying a new router - Solwise SAR715 Or Netgear DG814?

> Oops! forgot the link for you to check it out. http://www.itchest.co.uk/price-crash.asax
>
>
> --
> www.billysworld.co.uk

Thanks for the link Billy - I checked out the spec's which look pretty good (very similar to the SAR715 and DG814), although it says that the device is a 4 port hub rather than a switch. Price is tempting though...

Regards,

Tim.

catshill
Grafter
Posts: 64
Registered: 03-08-2007

RE: Buying a new router - Solwise SAR715 Or Netgear DG814?

I have been running a DG 814 continuously since August. It was a piece of cake to set up and has worked flawlessly apart from once when I had to turn it off and on again.

N/A

RE: Buying a new router - Solwise SAR715 Or Netgear DG814?

> Hi all,
>
> Hopefully very near to having my PlusNet account activated and I've been looking at possible modem/routers for my setup.
>
> After a great deal of research via forums (adsl-guide) and the web my decision is down to :
>
> 1) Solwise SAR715, or
> 2) Netgear DG814
>
> Could any existing PlusNet customers comment on either of the above - reliability, ease of setup, speed, etc.
>
> The prices are similar and I've heard good things about the support Solwise offer on the SAR715, however most of my current network gear (a small home LAN) is Netgear manufactured (8-port Switch, Wireless Access Point, and Wireless/Wired network cards), so should existing hardware compatibility be a factor to consider too?
>
> Although I work in IT, and consider myself pretty savvy at most stuff, I'm not a networking/telecoms guy so I'm unable to see the benefits/pitfalls of either of these products versus the other beyond what I have viewed in these forums (and at adsl-guide).
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Tim.

N/A

RE: Buying a new router - Solwise SAR715 Or Netgear DG814?

Hi Tim.
I have the solwise 715. It has been working now for 6 weeks and has'nt put a foot wrong. It was easy to set up. I leave it switched on all the time as the consumption is only about 4 watts.
regards
Brian
N/A

RE: Buying a new router - Solwise SAR715 Or Netgear DG814?

> Hi Tim.
> I have the solwise 715. It has been working now for 6 weeks and has'nt put a foot wrong. It was easy to set up. I leave it switched on all the time as the consumption is only about 4 watts.
> regards
> Brian

Thanks Brian and Brett for your replies - as you have each recommended either of the modems, my decision is still pending (!) however I'm beginning to believe I'll be onto a winner whichever of the two I choose.

I was just checking there were no serious bloopers with either of these products - so thanks again for everyone's help.

Kind regards,

Tim.
N/A

RE: Buying a new router - Solwise SAR715 Or Netgear DG814?

I have the Netgear DG814.
Very easy to set-up a network of 3 PCs and never played up in 2 months