cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a PCI ADSL Modem/router

N/A

Buying a PCI ADSL Modem/router

Hi All:

I intend to buy an ADSL Modem/router. Can anyone tell of the pros and cons using PCI one instead of a USB one in terms of performance, power consumption, heating etc. - especially if I have loads of free PCI slots and portability not being an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Som
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Buying a PCI ADSL Modem/router

Hi,

I use an Efficent networks speedstream DSL modem (pci internal). Its fantastic. Using a pci modem takes the overheads off your processor (usb uses quite a bit of processing power), and is very easy to just plug and play. I got mine off e-bay complete with one line splitter. USB can be a bit of a pain in the ass to configure, but its what suits you in the long run. The advantages with using a usb modem is you can hot swap it between machines (assuming you have more than one).

Which operating system do you use?

N/A

> Hi All:
>
> I intend to buy an ADSL Modem/router. Can anyone tell of the pros and cons using PCI one instead of a USB one in terms of performance, power consumption, heating etc. - especially if I have loads of free PCI slots and portability not being an issue.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Som

Hi,

I think you will also find PCI ADSL modems are a bit cheaper than USB Smiley
N/A

> Hi All:
>
> I intend to buy an ADSL Modem/router. Can anyone tell of the pros and cons using PCI one instead of a USB one in terms of performance, power consumption, heating etc. - especially if I have loads of free PCI slots and portability not being an issue.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Som

- A PCI modem will use an IRQ, require your PCs power supply to work harder, add more heat to the inside of your PC and require you to add more drivers to your OS set-up. If you had several PCI cards present these might be issues. System stability would also have been an issue. However, if most of your PCI slots are empty you should be OK.
- Some people say that their xDSL speeds and/or latency (time to find things) are SLOWER with PCI hardware.
- Go for USB if think your PC will not take the strain or if you believe the comments about speed issues.
- The most future-proof choice, however, would be an ethernet modem. For which you would need an ethernet port or ethernet PCI card in your PC.
- With an ethernet modem you can:
- easily set-up a home network, for sharing the xDSL connection with other PCs/home appliances.
- connect your own web/email servers to the Internet if your account allows this.
- easily connect a PC running either Windows or Linux or MacOS etc.
- visit www.adslguide.org.uk for some modem reviews.

fredrik
N/A

Hello again,

for what it's worth Windows XP seems to want to shove all my different PCI cards, ADSL modem included, onto the same IRQ, but with no apparent ill effects. My modem has to share the motherboard (Abit KG7) with 4 other PCI cards, if you include the old dial-up modem, and I'm not getting any overheating/instability problems. My decision to go PCI was made after reading reports about the difficulties the USB ports on some motherboards were having in supplying adequate power, and I am pleased with my choice.

If on the other hand you want to share the ADSL connection between two or more PCs then frederik is right, the ethernet modem/router option is the obvious one to choose.

A.