cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business on home?

N/A

Business on home?

Hi guys just a quick question. Baically BT are blocking the business I work for from using an external smtp server other than their own. So I've recomended they change isp's. The MD though seams dead set on getting a residental line for the business (with over 20 users on the net) instead of a proper buisness line, I've advised him against this but all he can is is the price differnce.

Could I please get clarifaction as to plusnets policy if a business is found using a home account? But if I can get his I can print it out show him/
4 REPLIES
N/A

Business on home?

There is no real differance in what is offered, with the exception of the number of domains and overall webspace.

The real cost for business users is support. This doesn't just mean in terms of Contact us, and phone support, but the way in which action must be take when it comes to failures.

Under the contract, failures are expected. Home users for the most part, are not as worried, and can tolerate outages. Businesses are uptime critical in most cases, and rightly expect things to be supported quickly. This is where the cost is justified.

As a business, it is liklely that a residential order may be rejected on a business line. It is also lilely, that should the business request support, they can be declined, and asked to upgrade to an account stuitable to its needs.

So should the connection die, PlusNet can refuse to do anything about it, until the business requests an upgrade to a business product.

Besides being a mugs game, it s highly unfair on both residential users and businesses. Business because they are using a cut priced product they are not entitled to under the contract, and residential, because they are using cut-prices capacity, and being subsidised in use.

There is no real information on this in the contract. However, you can show him the AUP that states you should have a account type suitable to the use of the product, and also show the clauses regarding PlusNets ability to cut his service.
N/A

Business on home?

And that AUP can be found here. In particular:

43.1 You are required to sign-up to an appropriate account type depending on your required utilisation. Home accounts are provided for residential consumers, if you wish to use your account commercially then you must sign-up to a business account or Teleworker account where appropriate.
N/A

Business on home?

oh well with that information he would chose to totally ignore it and go residental as he never has and never will contact any tech support line. Though if the phone line is business the order might be rejected that may be something I can use to try to get him to get the proper packages.
Community Veteran

Business on home?

Ultimately he could lose his ADSL line if PlusNet discover it is being used against the terms and conditions, which of course will entail downtime and costs (reactivation fees etc) if they have to apply for ADSL again.

If that is the chance they want to take there is probably little you can do and leave it to those involved to handle what may happen.