Did you mean: 

Bundling 2 ADSL lines

N/A

Bundling 2 ADSL lines

It can be done, but...

Does +net support it?
Anyone done it already?
What equipment/settings you using?

Any web page links/information would be great!

Cheers
Will
6 REPLIES
madswitcher
Grafter

Bundling 2 ADSL lines

Could you give a little more information about what you are trying to do?

For example, are you trying to share 2 connections to your internal network with multiple users and some degree of resiliance: or are you trying to simulate a single fast pipe?

If the first one, then I can help you further as I do this with a load-balancing Netgear router and 2 ISPs. If the second, then maybe some-one else can help out.

Cheers, Mike
N/A

Bundling 2 ADSL lines

I'm not sure if PN support bundling lings, but others do, and the firebrick is a good adsl bit of kit that does it quite easily, or you can get a cisco 1701 that will do it too (with two WICs in it)
N/A

Bundling 2 ADSL lines

There's quite a few solutions for connecting multiple ADSL lines to a single internet gateway.

Depending upon the level of resilience required from a hardware POV there can be many alternatives.

More detail on your situation and reasons may give a better insight on the best route for you.
N/A

Bundling 2 ADSL lines

There's quite a few solutions for connecting multiple ADSL lines to a single internet gateway.

Depending upon the level of resilience required from a hardware POV there can be many alternatives.

More detail on your situation and reasons may give a better insight on the best route for you.

This is not for this account, its for the company I've recently started employment for.

Current situation...

11 Sites of which one hosts 3 servers, server 1 is a Windows 2000 server hosting the companys inweb and also handling some VPN connections from remote locations (laptops out travelling). Server 2 is a Customer database and holds a lot of clinic information and is accessed by all the sites and is in use during all opening hours. Server 3 is a File server and again is currently the only storage for all 11 sites.

All this information including the general internet usage from the site hosting the servers is currently running on a standard 8mbs/256kps ADSL line.

I contacted BT regarding an SDSL line but they have informed me of A: The cost! B: The distance from the exchange rules out a 2mbps upload any way.

To add to all that, in the next 2-9 months we will be deploying a Microsoft Exchange server which is going to be handling over 100 e-mail addresses and somewhere in the region of 1 gig's worth of mail data.

So I desperatly need to improve the upload speeds and this lead me to bundling ADSL lines. I've looked at the Firebrick option and this seems to be the sensible option so far.

Currently the business ADSL is with Andrew & Andrews, I have been asked to review there costs and see if I can get a better deal and I have thought about moving to Plus.net as I've been a home user for a fair few years now with no problems, however A&A do offer a tunneling bonding which would allow me to have a closed VPN network through all the sites with the possibility to bundle ADSL lines at all sites as well altough I don't think this is needed as the servers will be staying at the main site...

Cheers
Will
N/A

Bundling 2 ADSL lines

I see how you have come to this point - another idea worth considering is Terminal Services, especially handy if coupled with web access to the Terminal server.

Because its only sound/graphics/control data being transmitted, the bandwidth requirements are much lower than they are for moving files and program data backwards and forwards. People would see a larger improvement in responsiveness by using this method, and it makes for much easier management across the remote sites. All they need is a machine with an internet connection, and a web browser.

You don't have to worry about private data being moved and stored outside of the company network, since everything they do will be on your servers then - if a Laptop is stolen for example, there is no data on it.

I would perhaps suggest an upgrade to an office ADSL product rather than the current home product your company is using in that case - that way you'll be able to take advantage of a potential upload speed of 832.

For Terminal Services this would provide sufficient bandwidth for somewhere between 10/20 sessions.

The down side is of course that you have no guarantee with ADSL - you could potentially end up with no server access to your main site if something goes wrong.

Is this a risk the business can afford to take?

If so, bonding two office lines *could* give you around 1.5Mb upstream.

(Don't make the mistake of assuming that two ADSL lines into your building will provide true resilience - even with different ISP's the cables will likly just be different pairs of the same cable; any problems at the exchange would also cause problems for any services run through it.

Two ISP's would provide *some* level of resilience, against say, ISP outages/problems, but won't cover you for everything)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Bundling 2 ADSL lines

Is ADSL appropriate for this type of application. Other solutions may include an SLA which you won't get with ADSL.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)