cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bt speedtester gives much faster speed than anything else

N/A

I'm a premier user, my line syncs between 7600 ish and 8128. Bt have set my ip profile to 6500, fair enough. When I run the bt speedtester I consistently get around 6mbps, however on mybroadbandspeed, speedtest.net and plus's own tester I have never achieved more than 2400kbps. I exepect that I should get a slightly faster speed on the bt tester, but by a factor of 2 1/2? Has anyone else had this sort of problem or is it just to be expected?
Jon
5 REPLIES
chrisc
Grafter

This may be due to the RWIN or MTU settings on your computer.

Have a look at for some tweaks here which should increase the speed for you.

Any questions shout up Cheesy
N/A

that works a treat, thanks
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Most people find the RWIN setting of around 116800 gives some of the best performance.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
namtab
Grafter

HI,
I had the same problem and was advised to try TCP Optmizer,http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php its a small program that makes all the changes for, you very easy to use, I ran this and my test speeds shot up to that of the BT tester, worth a try.
N/A

Speed test dont really tell you very much. They measure the speed from your pc to the their server so if one has a server in london and one has one in new york the one in london would be quicker.

It also depend on the route as different ones may take another route its like going to london from manchester one may take the A roads while the other goes via the motorway. If there is a lot of traffic on the motor way one night it may be quicker on the a roads.