Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browsing the web and McAfee?

Del
Grafter

Smiley Hi All,

I was on-line yesterday evening and ran the plusnet and adslguide.org speed tests and noticed they were very slow for my new 1MB connection (adsl was slower than 512) so today I have read about tweaking the MTU which I have set at 1478 and my speed is now much better.

I also use the McAfee Internet Security Suite v.6.0 and since installing I've almost always got stuck on whichever website page I visit and the only way to continue surfing is if I close and then open Internet Explorer again but after a short time I usually get stuck again.

I have now ran the configuration (again and again lol) set-up for McAfee (Privacy Settings) and left most of the boxes un-ticked and so far I've not got stuck on a webpage.

Has anyone else had problems with McAfee Internet Security Suite and what did you do?

P.S. I did email McAfee support a few days ago but so far no reply.

Del
7 REPLIES
N/A

What web page are you getting stuck on? what actually happens? does IE lock up?

Aaron
N/A

Yes I had major probs with mcafee the same as you, I got shot of it.
Del
Grafter

Smiley Aaron,

It sticks on every page after a short or long time, I think it's because McAfee has Advert stoppers and the like so I'll probably just use the firewall and anti-virus parts of the suite although Plusnet now scan for viruses and I can always run SpyBot or Ad-Aware to remove any spyware.
Alecto
Grafter

Me too.
I was using Norton Internet Security 2002 ), till they had problems with one of the updates to the Redirector that slowed everything down earlier in the year.

So I uninstalled it and tried the McAfee v6.
I couldn't get it to work, and the errors were different everytime.
It was a total nightmare for 2 days, and the online help people did their best, but didn't have a clue what to do.

I am on Win me though.

Anyway, Norton fixed the problem with its Redirector (without telling anybody), and I got rid of McAfee, reinstalled and updated Norton, and no problems since.

Some people swear by it though, so I suspect it's one on those things you don't know till you try it on your own configuration.

. :roll:
Del
Grafter

:? I just got an email from McAfee yesterday with a removal file and instructions but things look about the same but there is one strange thing I notice on my PC (at least I didn't notice it before) and thats a program or file called Sonic Update Manager (sgtray.exe) Can anyone tell me what it does?

Thanks, Del
Alecto
Grafter

Del
Grafter

Smiley Yes it certainly looks like it although it does not sit on my taskbar.

Smiley It's good to know it's harmless although why McAfee had it in the removal file they sent me is a puzzle?

Smiley Thanks for your help.

Del