cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser losing connection

N/A

A strange problem : if I leave my browser on for several hours (with the screen turned off) when I return I cannot view any web sites - page not found is displayed. I have to restart the machine for the browser to work again.

Logging off user, turning the router off and on again and forcing the router to disconnect then connect again have no effect.

E-mail still works though. This happens with both desktop and laptop machines.

Any suggestions?
7 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

When this happens can you still access the router configuration page? Or is this also not accessible?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Are you running software firewalls on your computers?
N/A

Yes, the router configuration page is visible and the router is connected. If I dis-connect then re-connect the same problem remains.

I am using ZoneAlarm firewall software.

Thanks for any help!
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

If you disable the firewall are you then able to view webpages?

Can you also confirm which internet browser you are using, as well as the operating system, and if this is common across the two machines.
N/A

Browser is IE6 running on XP pro.

I'll try shutting down the firewall, and see if they makes any difference. I hope it's not that as don't really want to run without it.
James
Grafter

I do understand any concerns you have about dropping your firewall. However, firewall and antivirus software is often the cause of symptoms like those that you are experiencing. Just try it for a minute and see if it makes any difference.

If it does, just uninstall and reinstall your firewall software.
dekker
Grafter

I have had exactly the same symptoms as pidleynet, a couple of times in the last week or so. My screen was not turned off and the browser (IE) was still launched, just could not get any new pages up (page not found).

email via Outlook Express, and router config page accessed ok.

Restarting the computer cured it. Mmmmm mystery! :?