cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband very very slow - can anybody help please?

N/A

Even though my broadband connection speed is showing as 2.3 Mbps and doing a speed test on the BT site shows '1823 kilo bits per second', my internet connection is incredibly slow. It is slower than when I had dial-up: takes about 40 seconds for each page to show.

I am using Internet Explorer 6.0 on a Windows XP PC.

I can't get help from Plusnet - kept forever in call-waiting. I have spent half an hour trying to find the contact form on the Plusnet site, but can't find it. Looks like, as with all these companies which boast about 'Customer Relations Management', the best form of customer support they know is to make it impossible for customers to contact them.

I have a feeling is a setting on my computer, because the connection only became slow when I had to reload Windows XP when my computer hard-disk crashed.

Can anybody help please? Thanks a million.
4 REPLIES
N/A

reply to ur question

it could be windows automaticly checking for updates and stealing your bandwidth try changing ur setting so it tells you theres an update but u choose when to download them youll get this from your control panel automatic updates change to update but u choose when to download them hope this might help
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Also could try www.dslreports.com, and under tools, select the tweak test. I suspect that your RWIN is now too low, as I think XPs default is about 11,000. Follow the instructions, and post the results back.
N/A

Thank you for your advice. Really appreciate it because can't get hold of Plusnet on the phone and they only sent a one line response to my detailed enquiry sent via the form on their website. The response didn't even address my query.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

I am really confused as to why you cannot get through on the telephone, over yesterday and today the average wait time is well under 3 minutes. You can judge the best time to call us at http://csc.plus.net

Also the advice given to you by my colleagues in the ticket answered your query, the speed test results you provided are showing a connection speed of near 2Mb, which is correct as you are still on the fixed speed product.

As the speed test results are giving good speeds this is very likely to be caused by a setting on your computer, have you tried another browser? Scanned for viruses and spyware?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team