cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed terrible again - Plusnet please help!

N/A

I have been experiencing loss of speed since October. I have raised question after question, but they always get closed when the speed goes up, then it goes down again. My last question, they blamed 'a fault on my telephone line (but don't tell BT its a Broadband problem or they won't come out to you)'. Then there was the announcement about the 'improvements' when my line miraculously fixed itself and I got consistent speeds around 5Mbps. It lasted 'til yesterday and now its gone again and I'm back again at dialup speed.

If there is a fault on my line (which I doubt as I can have stable speeds for weeks then they vanish, along with other Plusnet Customers) then why do I have to lie to BT to get them to look?

What on earth is going on and how do I get real help rather than just running loads of BT speed tests and waiting until the speed fixes itself and Plusnet closing the question without resolution?

PLEASE will somebody from Plusnet answer?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

When you use the telephone, is there any background noise?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Not background noise - the voices are a bit indistinct sometimes - not the clarity you'd expect given that I have DECT phones.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Try getting BT to do a quiet line test, I think this is done by calling 17070, this should help pick up any noise on the line.

If they are sure there is no issue with the voice part of the line raise it as a fault to us and we can check the ADSL side for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Thanks Chris - I'll try that.

Curiously I switched to Broadband PAYG today and suddenly my speed multiplied by 10. It really makes me think that the 'fault on the line' could be a red herring, although I do believe that my voice reception could be better, so I will be seeing if BT can improve things.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Hmm, can't see any significant changes from here apart from the switch to PAYG. Keep an eye on the speeds and its always worth trying to get the line noise down to a minimum.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Its definitely faster - before PAYG -

09-03-2007 18:21:25 115.1
09-03-2007 17:39:56 119.3
09-03-2007 07:54:45 154.4

After PAYG

11-03-2007 07:05:39 4884.9
10-03-2007 21:13:23 1933
10-03-2007 20:40:26 2582.3
10-03-2007 20:18:37 938.8
10-03-2007 20:13:08 1158.1

It is still admittedly variable and could be coincidental but the improvement came at the same time as switching without logging a fault.

I THINK I have done the 'Quiet line test' - it doesn't give instructions - it just says 'quiet line test' - I assume I am listening for silence? Anyway, it is quiet - no noise as far as I can hear.
N/A

I did the quiet line test and was waiting to hear a BT voice come on after a minute or two and say something but it didn't. Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

That's the point of the test - you should hear nothing!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Well it certainly worked,I thought I'd gone deaf. Smiley