cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband really slow!

N/A

Broadband really slow!

My Broadband speed has really droped today, are there any known problems?
My modem shows a connection of 3328kbps down and 448kbps up. But the speedtest bearley touches 500kbps. Also my profile shows im at 500kpbs aswell. I checked my exchange information and it shows green and no problems.
I think I was better when I was on fixed 1mb, am I stuck on this speed for now?
18 REPLIES
Aterlatus
Grafter

Broadband really slow!

Unfortunately... yes. Profile takes 3-5 days to update and until it does you're stuck.

Count yourself lucky - I'm stuck at 250kbps.
N/A

Broadband really slow!

oh great! I was quite happy at 3000kpbs yesterday. I know my line cant take really fast speeds but 500kpbs is painful.
Aterlatus
Grafter

Broadband really slow!

Is it your IP Profile (as reported by the BT Speedtester) or the BRAS Profile (as reported by the Plusnet Portal) that you say is at 500kbps?

If it's ONLY the latter I think they're able to override it. The IP Profile can't be changed without waiting though Sad
N/A

Broadband really slow!

No, its my plus net profile. I can never get the bt speedtester to work every time I try it It usually comes up with a error that my IP adress does not much the one on file or something. On the rare occasions it does go through and gets to the bit asking for your username it always says its wrong. Am I putting the correct username in? is it just "username" or "username@plus.net" or "username@plus.com" cause I tried them all and it never works.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Aterlatus
Grafter

Broadband really slow!

username@plusdsl.net

The same username you use to connect to PN Smiley
N/A

Broadband really slow!

Ok, Ill give it a try and post the results.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

Broadband really slow!

ok, here are the results

IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3328 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 447 kbps

Well looks like im stuck at 500kbps then. Man, its annoying since it says my DSL connection is 3328kbps. Why cant I have that speed back! So much for my mammoth online, call of duty 3 game this weekend. Doubt 500kpbs will be good enough for a decent game.
Aterlatus
Grafter

Broadband really slow!

Aye, I've missed a lot from WoW and L2 this week with my reduced speeds. From what I hear if you're on an LLU it doesn't happen, but I'd have no idea how to switch and/or if it'd cause a break in service.
chrisc
Grafter

Broadband really slow!

@onewingedangel

If you continue to sync at over 3000 for the next 3 days then your profile will automatically be increased and your throughput will rise accordingly.
N/A

'Broadband My Way' is not a 3:1 reduction in download speed.

So, I am not the only one who has suffered a serious degradation of download (and upload) speeds. In April, I was enjoying about 1450 kbps then in May, I foolishly agreed to change from PAYG to BBYW Option 2 and this has reduced my download speed to about 490 kbps!

I raised this issue with the PlusNet 'Support Team' and received the following pitiful response:

"The results of our tests show no fault with your broadband connection. Completed speed tests show that your connection speed is: none found

According to BT, this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance for broadband service".

Well, this certainly isn't "acceptable performance" to me and if PN can't restore my service, I will have no alternative (after 4 years with PN) to find an alternative ISP who can.
N/A

Broadband really slow!

I have learned it's not really plus nets fault, its BT and the stupid way they decide what speed we should be at. It's all because of the stupid IP profile, and if you have a few bad connections BT stick you on a lower speed. On a side note my speed has gone up to 2mb. Still not the 3328kbps that my modem is connecting at but its better than 500kpbs.
N/A

Broadband really slow!

Good news that your speed has gone UP but will it last??!!

I understand what you are saying about BT's role in this but as we are unable to contact BT directly about broadband problems, it is up to PlusNet to apply the necessary pressure on its customers behalf.

N/A

Broadband really slow!

If your speed is always being knocked down, perhaps there is a problem on your line. Try contacting BT but tell them its a fault on the line not with your broadband, If they think its a broadband problem they will cut you off (like they did to me). I dont know im not a tech head, it was bugging me for a while because I was on fixed 1mb for years and when I switched to Max I only went up to 2mb (not a huge jump). Its a problem we all got to live with. We live in a country where we are using phone lines that were probably put in before world war 2 and unless your lucky enough to live in a cable area (or live right on top of your exchange) we will all have to suffer.
N/A

Broadband really slow!

Thanks for your comments.

I live about 5.5km from the local exchange so I have to accept that I will never get better than 1.5 Mbps but it was frustrating when this suddenly dropped to 490kbps! The good news is that since my complaint was lodged, the download speed has gone up to 950kbps which is at least a step in the right direction.

I have had no success contacting BT direct but about 18M ago, after a series of broadband problems, PlusNet did get them to investigate my local line and a section was replaced which did improve the situation.

I still believe that many of these problems are due to arbitrary changes in 'profiling' by BT and/or PlusNet....