cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband "Downgrade". Cheers Plusnet.

paulhannah

Hello! first post and not good news I'm afraid.
I've been trying to find out why my broadband is actually slower (and less reliable) since I was informed 4 months ago of the "up to 8MB" upgrade.

The latest reply from customer service is:
"Your line upgrade has been done, it semeed to go through in mid-May. however the speeds your receiving are in line with what BT advise is possible on your line to maintain a stable service, these are generated by Delta reports which Bt Wholesale (network provider) produce on all BT MAX lines, telling ISPs what speed customers should be able to receive up to."

Errrr and thats my problem how? How come it wasn't a problem before, when I had what would be classed as a reasonable speed for the quoted upper limit (2MB).
So my service has actually been downgraded, has it?

Can anyone out there provide a plain English answer to what this means and how I could sort this out?
Much appreciated if anyone can. Cry
Paul
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Not sure which speeds you are referring to.
There are two critical speeds the first is the speed your router is synchronising at.
This is the limit your line will handle for a given signal noise ratio or margin.
The second is the stable rate as reported to PlusNet by the BT BRAS system.
There for any given synch speed there is a maximum stable rate which is up to 500 kbps below it as it changes in 500 kbps steps
If you can provide these numbers and if possible the snr you are seeing then the picture will be much clearer
paulhannah

Hi Holtlane,
If I've reading correctly, the modem is synchronising at 992Kbps and, clicking on the link you provided, stable rate at 500Kbps.
##### ###### (that's not you I take it) gave the last reply to my query.
Should I be phoning BT then and not getting on at you guys?
Thanks,
Paul
Community Veteran

No I'm not that James (assuming that is a PlusNet agent can you please remove his name from your post in accordance with Forum rules).
With your synch rate your speeds are correct.
Assuming you had higher speeds before Max either you were scraping along on a 1000 kbps synch rate or something has gone badly wrong.
If you can find out the reported snr from you modem (this link may help) we may be a little further forward.
Basically to improve your speeds you will need to improve your connection (if you can get it over 1152 kbps this will double your stable rate to 1000 kbps).
There are a number of things you can do to try and improve the situation.
First is to disconnect all phones/sky box/etc and see if the synch rate improves - if it does you have a filter problem
Assuming you have an NTE5 master socket you can remove the lower half and plug your modem/router directly into it - this removes all your house wiring from the problem - see this link
Try a different cable from your modem/router to the master socket
paulhannah

Hello again,
Thanks for the advice again Holtlane, muuuuuuch apreciated! Good advice too.
Now, being relatively new to this broadband lark, I've done some online research to bring myself up to speed(ish).
I've optimised some of my settings (but they were apparently OK) and disconnected all phones etc. It only made the tiniest of difference. However, the next morning, the rx data rate had doubled to 1.9MB. So I guess this tweaking was enough to double the stable rate, just like you said.
At the moment I'm showing data rx attenuation of 50dB, snr 7 (data rate 140Cool and tx attenuation of 31dB, snr 8 (data rate 448: does this mean maxDSL and not LLU?).
I'll try the other tweaks as you suggested as soon as I get the chance.
Thanks again,
Paul
Community Veteran

Given the information provided I would assume that you are not on LLU.
The main reason is your snr of 7db as the normal synch snr with Tiscali is 15db. The other check is your upload speed where 448 normally means MaxDSL although in your case the upstream snr is very low which could have limited it.