cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband now chugging narrow!

N/A

Towards the end of my last billing period I exceeded my 8gb usage and PN placed my line under constraint - throughput in the region of 120 - 135kbps. I was told this has now been reset for the new billing period but I cannot get any decent speed. the most recent PN speed test gave me 208kbps. the BT test gave me an IP profile of 1000kbs DSL 448 up 1728 down, actual IP throughput 86!! I have a Binatone ADSL 500 modem [2 lights version] I have rebooted a number of times in the last week averaging around 2000 for the download but still the actual throughput remains around 130. I reinstalled the binatone but this has made no difference. I have had 4 years of decent service from PN but now my ticket raised with them is suggesting I get a BT engineer in; which I am loath to do as I will get hit with a charge of over £200 if the problem is with me and not them. I'm not very technically minded but any thoughts would be appreciated.
8 REPLIES
chrisc
Grafter

We recently investigated a problem regarding this issue and it was believed to have been resolved.

It appears that a few accounts are still experiencing the problem and I have now reopened the problem and our networks team are looking at it now.

Hopefully we'll get this resolved soon for you.
N/A

I'm lost...or is it the others?

connected again this a.m. best I could get was 448/1984 but actual throughput with PN test showed 119 !! So further time with no news videos, online gaming and erratic FTP connection. I noticed this from thejonesfamily user this morning:
I've still got no connection, however I have been told that "We have seen multiple faults for your area for customers connecting via BT equipment and LLU equipment , which would suggest there is major issue rather than an individual line problem" which is all well and good but still leaves me without an Internet connection!

This is at Altrincham only 20 odd miles away from me so I wonder how many others might be being affected in Cheshire?
N/A

Can you do a BT Speedtest (help here) and post the results?
N/A

perked up!

Thanks for the interest lestones. my connection has finally changed this morning and I am assuming it has something to do with blip logic? and/or PN tweaking the network in relation to the fault on my account. The PN speedtest jumped to 960kpbs this morning [I synced? at 448up/1664down].
The BT test, after a few "tired and emotional" not working responses, came back with: IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 1664 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 928 kbps

Since being on upto 8 mbs I have only ever had download connections at around 2500-3000 giving me around 2000kbps for downloading which has proved sufficient for my internet usage. My guess at the mediocre performance is based on faults that have neede repairing in the past on my phone line and the distance we are from the exchange [couple of miles]
N/A

perked up!

Thanks for the interest lestones. my connection has finally changed this morning and I am assuming it has something to do with blip logic? and/or PN tweaking the network in relation to the fault on my account. The PN speedtest jumped to 960kpbs this morning [I synced? at 448up/1664down].
The BT test, after a few "tired and emotional" not working responses, came back with: IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 1664 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 928 kbps

Since being on upto 8 mbs I have only ever had download connections at around 2500-3000 giving me around 2000kbps for downloading which has proved sufficient for my internet usage. My guess at the mediocre performance is based on faults that have neede repairing in the past on my phone line and the distance we are from the exchange [couple of miles]
chrisc
Grafter

@stampandcard,

I meant to update you last night but the profile restrictions have been lifted and everything should be working for you again now.

Sorry for the delay in getting this resolved for you.
N/A

thanks...but...

Thanks Chris? for your response and resolving the problem. Appreciated.
One thing though; I am unhappy at the way that PN support, on my ticket 22046590 seemed to move pretty quick to the "not us Guv...get a BT engineer in" position.
...and finally do I assume that within the next few days as I may be able to connect back around 2500-3000 that my throughput will adjust upwards as well?
Thanks.....
chrisc
Grafter

Apologies for the response that you recieved to your ticket.

Obviously the agent concerned was unaware of the problem regarding restrictions not being lifted. This is why, from testing, he could not find a problem with your line.

The next step would have been to send an engineer out but obviously that wasn't required in this instance.

I'll have a word with the agent concerned to make him aware of the situation.

With regards to speed increases, If you are syncing at a higher rate for the next 3 days or so then the profile should increase automatically.