Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband - my home network

jabb0
Grafter

Hey all,
I need some advice!!!
First let me say that i am pretty savy with netwoks and stuff, so if there is something i dont know how to do, i could soon learn.

Thing is Broadband has finally made it to my backwater village (well this time next week) so i want to be ready from the word go!!!!
Currently i have 3 pcs in my house, only one of which is connected to the net via Dial-up.
I would like for all pcs to be internet enabled... what is the best way to do this. Have one PC acting like a server, with the others connected to it, or get myself a router (this is the bit i need help with).

I am thinking a router is best, but what exactly does it do for me? Can i hook-up all the PC's to it wirelessly? Can i get rid of the firewall on my PC?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

A router is really your only option for 3 PCs - i.e. all 3 PCs will plug / connect into it and it is connected to your ADSL line. As for how they are connected together, it depends on how far they are apart. If in the same room then a wires (Ethernet cable) solution is best. If they are around the house then a wireless solution is best but if you have lots of walls between router & PC this could be a problem.

So for wires only router, I would recommend the Netgear DG834. Each PC then needs an Ethernet port which it may already have (called a Lan or Nic) and if not you will need to purchase a PCI network card for around £5 to £10. If you have any laptops without a network port use a PCMCIA network card. You then need 3 x cat5e straight Ethernet cable to connct them all up.

For wireless, I would recommend the Netgear DG834G or Linksys WAG54G + a wireless adapter for 2 of your PCs. One PC should use a wired connection via an Nic & Ethernet cable for configuration and ease of setup. This option will be much more expensive and you must remeber to enable encrytion/security (WEP) to stop any other wireless networked PC in the street using your ADSL connection..

Check out the ADSLguide reviews for other alternatives and how the above 2 I recommend work.
Community Veteran

Forgot to add, don't get rid of your software firewall as it is just as important as your routers firewall. The hardware firewall will block incoming connection attempts but not outgoing, whereas the software firewall allows protection of viruse/spyway trying to connect out via your PC to the internet.

With both you have protection in both directions.

What software firewall do you have?
N/A

hey, first off I feel it necessary to spam my networking tutorial Wink

http://www.buzzons.co.uk/tutorials/network/network.htm

(only try this on broadband // or be in for a wait , its about 3meg)

For your protection you may want to look into sygate personaly firewall (pro) as this is one of the best software firewalls there is. Also get your self a nice upto date copy of adaware from lavasoft as now you will be online more you are going to get a lot more spyware Sad

(also, you may want to use firefox www.getfirefox.com to replace IE if you have not already)

Buz
jabb0
Grafter

I have been running the 3 month trial version of Norton Internet Security for about a year now.

Once i get Broadband i would actually consider spending money money on my antivirus and firewall.

Thanks for the info, i think i have actually got i direction to go in now.

The internet is realy important to me as it is how i make my living, i ave only ever had had 1 bad attack on my computer, this is when i changed to norton, which has proved itself to me (on dial up anyways)

Something i notoced about IE is that it is a prime target for spyware and the like, i have had my home page changed on me, and i cannot get rid of it i tried everything, and i mean everything (short of reinstalling IE, which windows will not let me do (and yes i have tried every walkthrough i can find in the subject,!!!

One more question --- why do i get charged an activation fee for broadband? (i am not complaining here as i am sure plusnet would NOT try to rip a body off, i am jus curious, as to what needs to be done that would cost this amount of dosh)