cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband for School

N/A

Broadband for School

Okay so I've been given the job of getting a broadband connection for the 6th form common room at my school. However I need to know what I'd need to look for (i.e. not residential, not strictly business either), and how I'm going to go about paying for it to happen.

The thing is the connection isn't nececarily being used only for school access, so we cant use our county ISP, which is why we want our own ADSL connection.

In any case I'd like to use PlusNet because of the excelent service I get for my residential connection, and the lack of bandwidth limits (obviously a real problem when there are 30 or so laptops connected to the router)

Thanks for any advice you can give!
6 REPLIES
N/A

Broadband for School

Just get the 2mb residential premier, they'll never know.
N/A

Broadband for School

hmm, Definaltly go for 2mbit.
Sharing 2mbit between 30 ppl will not exactly be 2 fast mind.

about 5~8K/s if everyone is using it , and possibally alot worse of ppl plan on downloading alot of files.
N/A

Broadband for School

I am a tech on the biggest high school network in staffordshire. We currently use IFL 8Mb for our network of about 450 machines and 7 servers which seems to work fine for us, although it is far too expensive. (Though everything from RM is!).

Like you say though as you want it for "other" things you could go for plusnet business premier although from my experience of a educational tech you would be much better getting an IFL solution or similar purely because of the filtering and security issue, although if you are willing to setup and configure a proxy cache you will be fine!

Jake
LiamM
Grafter

Broadband for School

Bear in mind that as soon as you put in in your name, you are responsible for all the traffic going up and down. My college has a 3Mb line for it's entire network. Works fine because people rarely request pages at exactly the same time.
michaelscott
Grafter

Broadband for School

hmm, Definaltly go for 2mbit.
Sharing 2mbit between 30 ppl will not exactly be 2 fast mind.

about 5~8K/s if everyone is using it , and possibally alot worse of ppl plan on downloading alot of files.

My college has a 2Mbps leased line shared between 600 machines. Worked fine. The speed was there when you wanted it.
N/A

Broadband for School

Leased line and ADSL are different concepts though.

A leased line is a clean feed with almost no contention applied. ADSL is a hope and pray based product.