cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband disconnects when phone picked up!

N/A

Today I just noticed that whenever I pick up the telephone on my broadband line, the broadband connection is disconnected.

When I put the phone down again, the broadband re-connects itself.

Anyone have any ideas why this might be?

Dodgy wiring?

Broadband and phone otherwise work perfectly as far as I can tell.

(Haven't had chance yet to try disconnecting phones, extensions etc. pluging router in at main socket - will do at weekend).
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

This is likely to be a line fault or faulty ADSL microfilter.

There have been several other reports of people having this, try searching to find what was recommended when they raised the same problem.
sam
Grafter

Hi feisar,

petervaughan is correct about this, 9 times out of 10 a problem such as this is due to internal wiring or more commonly filters.

The best thing to try is to unplug all equipment and try the modem a filter and a phone in the master socket and then keep trying different combinations of these until you locate the faulty equipment.

It could also be the phone, this is less common but dect phones can cause interference that can cause the line to drop.

If one you have tried everything above, the fault is ongoing, please report this via http://faults.plus.net.
N/A

Hi,

Thanks for your replies... turns out the solution was even simpler.

After a very thorough internal investigation, it seems someone (couldn't possibly have been me, oh no...!) had mistakenly, at some point, plugged the telephone in to an unfiltered socket.

D'Oh!!
sam
Grafter

Smiley

Glad to hear that you have the problem sorted.
flicker
Grafter

I wish my problem was that easily sorted. Mine still does it, or when I receive a call on my line too. So I tried using a USB ADSL modem, and it doesn't happen. So it would appear to be my wireless router, so am just about to get another one to try on a SOR basis. If that doesn't do the trick then it will be back to the drawing board, and yet another report about a fault on my line.... :roll:
N/A

One thing worth checking is if BT have actually connected the drop wires the correct way round.
I had a problem with losing sync occasionally when the phone was in use and when it rang. I did all the checks, i.e removed all ring wires, new filters, even re-terminated all extensions using proper Krone tool.

Decided one day to actually check the voltage on the terminals in the master socket where the drop wire was connected, T2 should be approx -50v and T5 0v measured to earth. I found this was reversed, most filters have diodes and the ADSL nation filter which I use also has transistors inside which are polarity conscious so the filters were not working fully. I reversed the connections in the extension where my ADSL is taken from and the problem was completely cured.