cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband cutting out when telephone in operation

N/A

Everytime my BT land line is in use, my Plusnet broadband connection is interrupted. It takes about a minute for it to reconnect after the phone call is ended. Doesn't matter whether it's incoming or outgoing.

Does anyone have a similar problem?

Does anyone know how to solve it?

I ma raising the issue with BT, but have no faith in their ability to deal with the issue!
8 REPLIES
Nocturne
Grafter

After the obvious of trying an alternative corded phone:

Try using a different filter and then two filters in series with the phone - make sure you plug the Router into the first Splitter/Filter and the phone into the second.

Assuming you have a modern BT Socket and can do so try removing the Faceplate which will disconnect any internal extensions and plug the Router and phone through a Filter/splitter direct into the Test Socket behind the Faceplate.

Try plugging the phone direct into the Test Socket.
If there is noise you may well have a BT line fault.

Don't overdo the re-syncing you may find BT increase your Target Signal to Noise Margin which can be very difficult to get back down.
N/A

Do all the extensions have filters on them?

And if so.. are they all working....
Community Veteran

Hi

Check out the usertools tutorial > Link

As has been said, it sounds like you have either a faulty splitter, or you have them sited incorrectly.

*EDIT*
Try using a different filter and then two filters in series with the phone - make sure you plug the Router into the first Splitter/Filter and the phone into the second.

I don't think you should ever have two filters in series John!
Alecto
Grafter

As above.

You need a filter on every socket that is in use, and they need to be decent ones.
If you have cheap one-part ones (without a cable in the middle), then you'd be well advised to start by replacing them.
These xf-1e's are about as good as they get, and cleared up all the problems I had on the phones.
Nocturne
Grafter

I don't think you should ever have two filters in series John!

Why would you think that ?
Community Veteran

Because that's what it says in the usertools tutorial linked above?
Nocturne
Grafter

The arrangement I suggested leaves the Router connected unfiltered to the phone line with the phone passing through two filters.

Neither filter attenuates the ADSL.

If you were to connect the Router as well as the phone to the second Filter/Splitter then you would attenuate the ADSL.

When I had this same problem I checked out ADSLGuide where more than one authoritative source recommends trying two filters in series to eliminate the possibility of a fault on your own installation. One such post

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=technical&Number=2634460&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

How does what I suggest in any way contravene the advice given in the Tutorial.
The advice appears to be not to inadvertently pass the ADSL through a second Filter/Splitter.

If my understanding is incorrect I would genuinely appreciate knowing in what way.

Edit : I assumed a fairly basic installation and should have suggested having the Filter/Splitters arrangement at the Master Socket, preferably the Test Socket behind the faceplate to eliminate any extensions.
N/A

Thanks for all your help. I'm going to have a look at the filters. The one I have is just the one that came with the router, which is an Asus ADSL modem. That is attached direct to the BT wall socket, then I have two phones (one fax/printer being one of those) and the modem attached.