cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connection dying when using VPN

N/A

Broadband connection dying when using VPN

Hi, I'm kind of new to broadband (I've only had it for about 2 months) so perhaps someone out there can help me.

I have a home PC running Windows 2000 and its connects to the interner via a Voyager 105 USB modem. Most of the time I'm just surfing the net but occasionally I need to VPN to the network in my office. Everything with this setup is fine and works without a problem, however I would rather connect to my office network from my (work) laptop as it has my full development environment.

The thing is, the laptop is running Windows Server 2003, so I can't install the Voyager 105 software/drivers and according to BT support they have no plans to support WS2003. To this end I managed to lay may hands on an Alcatel Speedtouch 330 USB modem and drivers (which can be installed under 2003, as detailed here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816098/?sd=RMVP&fr=1).

Connecting to the internet using this modem is not a problem, but accessing my office network via VPN is. Since I've set up this system I've been getting random disconnections while the VPN connection is active. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the connection loss - it can happen after 5 minutes or just a few seconds, and while the laptop is in use or just sitting idle.

It seems to be that the underlying internet connection disappears effectively kicking the feet out from under the VPN connection forcing the display of a redial dialog. When I try to reestablish the underlying internet connection, the first couple of connection attempts will fail with Error 680, then I'll get an error 734 and after that the next attempt will succeed, at which point I can reestablish the VPN connection.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong here, and can you suggest a possible solution to the problem?

Thanks.