cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband broke :-(

N/A

Yes, my broadband's broke - however I know what the problem is.
Monday night, I realised that I'd lost my connection, and after confirming with plusnet that the problem wasn't at their end (and in doing so noticing a 'crackle' on my line, I rang BT to see if there was a fault on the line, and they confirmed there was - and it was their responsibility to fix it.

After no updates, I rang again yesterday to see what was causing the delay. Their response was that there was no delay, but that my line wouldn't be fixed till March 7th! They very kindly offered to redirect my voice calls in the meantime, but broadband they couldn't care less about "That's something you should take up with your ISP" was the standard response.

The crackle also means that standard modem is reduced to approx. 17k so now my network connection is practically unusable for two weeks - and of course dialling up costs me extra.

My main issue though, is that now I'm paying my £22 a month for only half a month's service. Whereas I appreciate this isn't plusnet's fault I'm still paying them for a service I'm unable to receive. For me, broadband is most definitely not 'always on'!
What can I do?
6 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

In cases like this I believe you can claim from BT the charges for services which you will not be able to access because of your line fault.

Thats a very long time for BT to sort the problem, usually they say faults are sorted in 24 hours. Have you tried persevering, complaining? I had a fault a while back which was fixed the next day.

You might also like to know that BT will pay for Mobile Phone charges if you can produce a bill.
N/A

The woman I spoke to told me that this was the date that the engineers supplied and that she had no priveleges to change this.
She also told me that I was not allowed to contact the engineers myself, so I'm stuck in a bit of a catch 22 situation.

As I said above, she said that BT will not refund anything but the line rental, and that broadband issues I should take up with my ISP.
N/A

I had this ages ago - they only have a commitment to provide the voice calls and if you accept the divert of your voice calls to another number (at no cost to you) you lose the right to any financial compensation from them (according to their T&Cs)
N/A

If it helps, I haven't accepted the offer to transfer calls, as I can still actually receive calls, they're just really crackly.
N/A

I had this my line was down for 4 days
N/A

And British Telecom are now signed up to provide 20% of the country with an electronic medical record system for use in GP surgeries !