Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband & Dial-Up together

jgardner
Grafter

Hi,

I currently use a PlusNet 2MB connection with a computer in my bedroom. My sister has been nagging for Internet in her room, but knowing that she cannot have a seperate broadband connection (i'm not gonna share my connection cos she would take the micky), she now wants an AOL dial up connection. Can she do this on the same phone line and if so what problems (if any) would this cause my connection?

Would i lose any speed? Would i be able to connect to my broadband whilst she is connected to her dial up connection?

Any other problems anyone knows about?

I connect thru a Binatone modem.

Thanks
2 REPLIES
N/A

It is possible as long as she is connected through the "phone" side of the filter.

It wont impact on your ADSL connection.

If you are worried about her downloading too much, depending on the type of account you have, you could always implement the "Surf" option, thus preventing P2P downloads. She could browse and email etc without taking the micky and it would then be a more cost effective option for you.

There are other options, but it would mean configuring a suitable router to restrict access to certain sites / protocols.
jgardner
Grafter

She isn't willing to pay half my monthly fee so no chance of her sharing mine, plus she expects me to buy the router lol.

OK cool, glad to hear it won't impact my connection at all.

Thanks for the help