cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband access suspends when dialling in

N/A

Got on Plusnet today, so new to how things work with this ISP.
I was setting up the local rate access number on my laptop so I could dial in when i'm away, only I did this from home.
I noticed that while I was dialled into Plusnet, http services and/or routing were suspended through the ADSL connection (which is via a router) where my main PC is permanently connected.

I've never seen this happen with other ISP's.

I dialled another ISP on dial-up, and my Plusnet ADSL was unaffected, then I tried the Plusnet dial-up again, and hey presto, Plusnet ADSL stopped responding until I disconnected.

Is this normal for Plusnet? Anyone else notice this oddity?

This could be a problem for me as I plan to remotely access my PC when I'm away.

Thanks
Mike
5 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

Your Plus Net account is allocated only one IP. As such, if you use the 0845 backup number your IP addy will be assigned to that connection thus rendering your adsl connection inoperable.

The simple workaround is to sign up for a seperate free 0845 dial account thus alleviating the problem.
N/A

Thanks pcsni, that explains a lot!

Do you mean sign up through another ISP? Or is it possible to request more than one IP address through Plusnet? I've had a look through my account details and the online help but I couldn't find anything about it.

Thanks
Mike
N/A

No worries. You can sign up a seperate Plus Net free dial up account and just give it a different user name, say mtcsltd2. That way you can dial up the internet using that account but log into the portal using you adsl logon.

Really you can have as many free dial up accounts as you need.
N/A

Many thanks, pcsni
Regards
Mike
N/A

in cases like this it would be useful if they would allocate you a dynamic IP from the pool when you are dialling in :roll: