cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Usage

N/A

Broadband Usage

Hi i've just received a plusnet alert that i have used 11GB of my allowance (i have been streaming old US shows which i didn't watch on TV)

Can someone please tell me what does this alert mean, i have broadband premier option 1, am i limited to a certain amount GB of streaming and if so is it measured over a period of time?

Also if i watch the shows off peak (before) 4pm will i be ok?

Lost and needing advice

Gary
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Broadband Usage

Streaming still means that you are transferring data packets across the internet to your PC - Hence the term data transfer.

You've used 11GB doing that and other things. Thats what PN are telling you.

All data going in and out of your PC is counted as data transfer - every last byte of it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
N/A

Broadband Usage

Yeah i understand that. What i was wondering is what happens to my connection if i exceed the usage allowed and what is the limit, i think i have worked this bit out - around 18 - 20GB per billing month??

So if i exceed this, do i get cut off, get a slower service or what happens?

Can i continue to watch the shows between 12am and 4pm or is there a limit to offpeak surfing as well?? Someone tell me i can watch them to my hearts content before 4pm, 7 days a week (Is offpeak 12am to 4pm everyday including weekends)

Gary
N/A

Broadband Usage

After 11GB your connection will get progressively slower until 20GB. If you reach 20GB then your service will be capped at 128kbps (and some services blocked during peak hours) until you upgrade or you reach your next billing month. If this happens more than a couple of times then you'll be permanently capped until you upgrade.

All usage between 0000-1600hrs is free on Broadband Plus and Premier legacy products.
N/A

Broadband Usage

Ok cheers, i'll watch the next few episodes off peak - my monthly usage up to this month was only 3GB so i'll take it easy from now on

Was trying to watch two complete series one after another of hit US TV Shows

So i can continue to do this but not after 4pm then,

Thanks for your help, appreciated

Gary
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Broadband Usage

Hi,

It's actually 13GB rather than 11GB when the connection starts to slow down. The 11GB warning email is just that, a warning email to let you know you are getting towards 13GB. Best to keep the streaming before 4pm but you've still got a bit to spare.
N/A

Broadband Usage

Thanks Dave, I thought it was 13GB but when the OP reported 11GB from the e-mail I just went with that. Shockedops:

I'll make sure I'm not so lazy next time and follow up when something seems wrong.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Broadband Usage

Laziness is always best Smiley