cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Usage that doesnt add up

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Can someone explain to me why i show Broadband Phone Calls on my usage this month when i dont make any I am not even signed up for broadband phone and dont pay the monthly charge so how can i make any Huh? and gaming which i havent done this month i know this for a fact because my Dad died in February and i havent played any games since then ?? My speeds have been restricted because of my usage so if these shouldnt be on my usage what else shouldnt ? I gave up trying to cantact anyone by phone....
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

I certainly can't explain it but PN certainly can... if they choose to..

Normally the answer is that their system sometimes wrongly 'defines' traffic as a different type.

Rather worrying isn't it? - We use an ISP that admits it's systems ain't up to the job..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I am not sure that is the way to ask if you really want a answer from PlusNet, all you have achieved is to alienate the staff that read this forum, so then will not answer crownfield's question.

@crownfield

The View My Usage tool, is not intended to give a high accuracy break down of the different protocols. Which is difficult to do as many programs use non-standard ports for the traffic, which is where errors can come in. But it should give a fairly accurate overall figure.

Many P2P programs will show usage in VoIP and Gaming, as they try and get round traffic controls.

Also programs which update themselves use odd ports, so show as other usage.

What sort of levels of usage are you seeing on VoIP and gaming?

Chilly
Community Veteran

Identifying the traffic into specific uses is not and never will be 100& accurate due to the fact that lots of software use lots of different ways to communicate, and many also allow the user to choose things like port number, this is especially true of P2P traffic. PlusNet use a variety of methods to try and identify what the data is related too and they are improving these methods all the time but things do change as do applications and data making it impossible to always be correct.

The separation of traffic on the VMBU can only be used as a guide not as an accurate representation of the actual use of that data. Treat it as a best effort rather than actual use.
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Ok that seems to make sense although you naturally expect when someone tells you you have done this and that on your broadband that is correct maybe there should be a note at the bottom of the usage chart explaining what you have said that the areas of usage may not necessarily have been used for that purpose.

I dont fully understand these things so i had no idea that what you have said was possible.

The phone usage is not high 35mb but the gaming is nearly 652mb which seems quite a lot unless of course i have downloaded from a source that shows it as gaming (if that is possible)Thanks for your help its just my usage so far this month is twenty times what i used in the whole of last month,i,m not saying its not correct it just seems very high.
Many Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

I am not sure that is the way to ask if you really want a answer from PlusNet, all you have achieved is to alienate the staff that read this forum, so then will not answer crownfield's question.

Point taken, but in all honesty I wasn't asking. I was putting forward my point of view. No question mark in there mate!

Anyway, with this service deteriorating, I think I have the right to grumble & let off some steam don't you?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
N/A

I also have Broadband Phone and Gaming usage although I don't use either. :?:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Small amounts of usage under things like gaming and broadband phone calls is perfectly normal. Almost everyone will have small amounts showing. Most of the traffic will be random pings, probes and port scans - background traffic. It'll just bounce off your firewall but still goes through Ellacoyas so gets classified as something, some of it will look like gaming or may be gaming (someone trying to connect to the wrong IP address) or look like broadband phone calls or FTP or whatever.

Also some traffic may get misidentified, so a game patch may get classed as gaming or a webcam classed as broadband phone calls for example.
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Small amounts of usage under things like gaming and broadband phone calls is perfectly normal.

OK but 652mb doesnt seem like a small amount to me