cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speeds Dropped...

N/A

Just like other people are posting, my Broadband speeds have dropped DRAMATICALLY.

Normally, i am used to have a 6MB Broadband connection.

I recently noticed my ping getting much higher than usual when gaming and streaming videos that would normally be fine now take forever to buffer.

I decided to do a speed test on www.speedtest.net which normally shows me having a 6MB connection is now reporting back saying i have a 521kb connection!

What is the situation with this as if i wanted a 512kb broadband connection i would go to some other cheap supplier for that!
14 REPLIES
N/A

Mine went from 7mb to 3mb. I raised it as a question but you get the same nonsense replies which suggest a technical fault when it is clear to anybody with half a brain that they have reduced my speeds intentionally as a strategic measure due to the fact they could not deliver the service that they originally offered. Also, now they cut off my p2p connection on a daily basis (Cue response "Have you checked your modem"-lmao with disdain! :roll: )
Community Veteran

A sudden drop in speed like this is more that likely to be caused by an issue with your phone line, check out this tutorial.

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/10

Also run a BT speed test;
http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/bt_speed_tester.shtml
And post up the results.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Mine went from 7mb to 3mb. I raised it as a question but you get the same nonsense replies which suggest a technical fault when it is clear to anybody with half a brain that they have reduced my speeds intentionally as a strategic measure due to the fact they could not deliver the service that they originally offered. Also, now they cut off my p2p connection on a daily basis (Cue response "Have you checked your modem"-lmao with disdain! :roll: )

That sounds like traffic management as you have exceeding your usage allowance?

Chilly
N/A

LMAO, you sure you don't work for Plusnet? :shock: If I had a penny for every time I heard that chestnut. Just a shame that usage and the Plusnet usage policy hadn't been observed prior to making that statement. You are a (f....inforum)diamond my friend. Just don't tell (n.m..tes) I told you so tho
Community Veteran

Completely uncalled for.

Chillypenguin does not work for PlusNet at all, same as me, he is a Forum Moderator who gives his time freely - I suggest you take a look at the link:rules before you continue with your line of posting.

Fair warning my friend, fair warning.
James
Grafter

Hi there,

I don't feel that jumping on the moderators is going to drastically improve your connection speeds.

I'm afraid that I cannot see any reason for your recently reduced speeds. You only have light restrictions applied to your account as a result of your months usage and this should have no affect on HTTP speeds. Your also profiled at 8Mbps at our and BT's end, which could possibly suggest that any slow down is at the exchange end.
N/A

I am at work at the moment so i cant post the exact information i got from the BT Speed test.

Although, i do remember it being along the lines of...

IP Speed - 7628kb
Downstream - 400kb
Upstream - 200kb

(Rough guess from what i can remember)

Also, i checked my router status and my Line Attenuation downstream is at 45.5 DB... Surely that isnt right?
N/A

I have just got home and done the BT Speedtester again, these are my results.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7648 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 340 kbps

It then told my my test was inconsistent and that i should reconfigure my router and try the test using bt_test_user@plusdsl.net.

When i tried this, i was unable to even connect to the internet...

Any one know what i can do?
James
Grafter

That is quite strange. Let me check a few things and I'll get back to you shortly.
James
Grafter

Hi there,

I've now raised your fault with BT as I cannot see any justification for the speeds you are seeing outside of exchange contention. We should hear back in 24-48 hours.

Thank you for your patience.
N/A

Hi,

Thats great, thanks for the help.

I did notice an increase last night, but i was unable to run the speed test as it still says the session for my telephone number is still in use.

Hopefully when i get home tonight it will be open again for me to run a new test to see if it has resolved itself.
furryside
Dabbler

From 2mps to 6mbps and back to 2mbps

My connection has been 6mbps for months after upgrading.
I return from holiday to find it has dropped back to about 2mbps.
I have rebooted my router two weeks ago and tried the trick of disconnecting once a day for three days but it has not helped.
BT say this

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1833 kbps

What has happened to my connection speed? I am only 7oo metres from the exchange.
Please can anyone help?.
Thank you.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Hi John,

Can you reboot your modem/router and try a speedtest now please.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've replied to your post in the other thread (ADSL Max) but didn't see in there that the profile is all correct. Nothing has changed on your account, so if another BT speed test returns the same result (ideally this morning, if you can, so we have tests from different times of day) we'll get a fault raised for you. Please disconnect and resync before trying the second test just in case.

Please let us know,