Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband, Sky and wireing

craigbrass
Grafter

Here is my phone/broadband is setup at the moment :

Should I have a splitter where the Sky Box is connected to? Is it required?

Yours,
Craig Brass
8 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Broadband, Sky and wireing

I would have thought it is required, yes.

Nice professional diagram too :lol:

Tongue
craigbrass
Grafter

If I wanted it to be a pro diagram, I would of spent an hour on it, that was only a two min job.....lol.
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

Hi.

Yes. You need a splitter in all BT sockets which have *anything* connected. Use the handset port on your second splitter to connect Sky.
Community Veteran

I assume by splitter you mean the ADSL filter that allows you to plug an ADSL modem and normal phone into a phone socket. A splitter just allows 2 phones to be plugged into a single socket.

If you have ADSL connected and active, all normal phones (including the sky box) must connect to the BT socket through a filter. This is described in detail in ADSL: Wiring and Filters.

Cheers

Peter Cool
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

I assume by splitter you mean the ADSL filter
Yup...sorry Shockedops:
N/A

A DSL filter/splitter is required for the Skybox to be able to get a good phone connection. A DSL filter is not always required for a good DSL signal on normal analog phone lines.
HOWEVER cheap modems (the ones on all skyboxes are really cheap) have poor signal filtering and the DSL signal can leak back onto the line causing loop problems.
It is always better to isolate every analog phone/modem/skybox with a DSL filter/splitter.

I mention analog phone/modem/skybox as analog, but DSL is also analog, just at a different frequency above audible range. This is why you can sometimes "hear" DSL as static noise due to low order harmonics.
N/A

Looking at your diagram it appears that you have an ADSL filter faceplate as your master socket. In this case all extensions coming off that socket should already be filtered, if it's wired in properly. How does the line sound on the extension? Noisy?
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

I suspect that this is the well known Picasso effect, trying to render a three dimensional image in two dimensions :lol: