cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Router

mcclim
Grafter

Broadband Router

I am setting up a network in my new house, instead of using a hub or switch to connect the PC's I was thinking of using a Router as we will be getting broadband in a few months time, can anybody suggest a good one to me?

Thanks,
neil
11 REPLIES
N/A

Broadband Router

Netgear 834 is worth looking at , has a SPI Firewall and an easy to use interface and has a self setup feature which automatically picks up all the settings needed for Plus Net BB, apart from your User Id and Password.
N/A

Broadband Router

I use the DG834.
The new USR is also good.
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=103056

With security in mind, get a router with firewall (SPI and DoS protection). Both above have this.
N/A

Broadband Router

I currently use a DG814, but I'm considering getting an DG834 as it has a full SPI firewall etc, where as mine only as NAT based.
Community Veteran

Broadband Router

If you have a good software firewall there is no need to change your router. NAT will block all incoming connection attempts without you setting any rules and anything that does get in (i.e through emails) can be blocked from getting out by the software firewall and any infections killed by your virus scanner.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

mcclim,

The netgear 834 is very good as are similar products like Origo 8400, Solwise SAR130.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Broadband Router

I bought a Netgear DG834 for home.

Some months later we upgraded to ADSL at work. I didn't look at anything else.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mcclim
Grafter

Broadband Router

Thanks for all the advice, Cheesy
N/A

Broadband Router

Be aware that most ADSL modem/router won't let you use normal dial up modem. My suggestion, if you can't wait to have your PCs networked, get a switch/hub and one of your PC need to be the ICS gateway. Buy the recommended ADSL modem/router when you've got your ADSL connection.
Community Veteran

Broadband Router

Be aware that most ADSL modem/router won't let you use normal dial up modem.

Who told you that? An ADSL line will allow you to connect a 56K modem or normal phone at the same time as an ADSL modem. You achieve this by using an ADSL filter/splitter supplied with most ADSL equipment.
N/A

Broadband Router

Be aware that most ADSL modem/router won't let you use normal dial up modem.

Who told you that? An ADSL line will allow you to connect a 56K modem or normal phone at the same time as an ADSL modem. You achieve this by using an ADSL filter/splitter supplied with most ADSL equipment.

Yes, you can use the line for normal dial up, but you can't use the ADSL modem/router to dial up your normal dialup number .. or do I miss something? additional to that .. you can't connect your normal dialup modem to the router too ..
Community Veteran

Broadband Router

Yes, you can use the line for normal dial up, but you can't use the ADSL modem/router to dial up your normal dialup number .. or do I miss something?

Why would you want to? An ADSL connection and a 56K dialup connection are two completely separate types of connection. ADSL is digital and the 56k modem is analogue and the two are not compatible.

you can't connect your normal dialup modem to the router too ..

Again why would you want too when you can just use the supplied filter/splitter. In fact some ADSL modems have an in-built ADSL filter so you could actually connect a phone or 56K modem to it and it would work exactly the same as if you were using a separate filter/splitter.
N/A

Broadband Router

Why would you want to? An ADSL connection and a 56K dialup connection are two completely separate types of connection. ADSL is digital and the 56k modem is analogue and the two are not compatible.

And here is what the OP has in mind:

I am setting up a network in my new house, instead of using a hub or switch to connect the PC's I was thinking of using a Router as we will be getting broadband in a few months time, can anybody suggest a good one to me?

And most of you seem to suggest him to get an ADSL modem/router which for sure will be useless for him since he doesn't have a broadband right now.