cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Premier 1 Speed (or lack of)

N/A

Hi

Has anyone noticed a dramatic speed decrease on any of the Broadband Premier packages? Up until Friday, I was getting 700 KB/sec tops on an 8meg connection.

The connection over the weekend was absymal. At one point I was getting 15kbps. Things have improved since I logged a ticket and I performed a few tests via Plusnet and the BT speedtest tool. However, I am still not getting a fast connection.

The service has been great for nearly a year. I haven't performed any router reconfig.

Regards

Paul
18 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

It looks like your exchange status is currently red for capacity, you can check this here:

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges

The eta. for the fix was 16th February but we've not received confirmation of this yet, it could be that it's been missed which is now why your speeds are now being reduced.
N/A

I was just going to add the link I found about the Exchange check. It does indeed seem like its a BT issue. I suppose it makes senses as the BT speedchecker was slow too. OK, not plusnet, I'll admit that Wink Thanks

Paul
N/A

It might be worth asking your neighbours if they are also experiencing such dire speeds.
N/A

mine is also red and the fix date is today I am getting at max 3mb speeds and have done for a while and I am only 400 yds from the exchange!!! i sometimes get under 1mb!!!
N/A

Exchange Status Checker
Results: Chatteris

Code: EMCHATT
County: Cambridgeshire
Enabled: 29 Aug 2003
red Virtual paths: Red

BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.

At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.

The ETA fix time is: 28 Feb 07

Record last updated: 12 Feb 07

Historical information for this exchange:
Status Date
red 05 Feb 07
red 29 Jan 07
red 22 Jan 07
red 15 Jan 07
red 08 Jan 07

Please note: This checker is not a generic fault tracker. It is updated weekly when updates are available and reflects a snapshot of speed capacity from each exchange. Results shown here should not lead you to conclusive proof of an issue.

is there anything I can do to speed this up?!?!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Not really, as you say there's a fix day of today so I'd give it a day or so to see if they are able to fix it and see if it makes any difference.
N/A

I checked out my exchange:

BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.

At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.

The ETA fix time is: 16 Feb 07

Record last updated: 12 Feb 07

Historical information for this exchange:
Status Date
red 05 Feb 07
red 29 Jan 07
red 22 Jan 07
red 15 Jan 07
red 08 Jan 07

I have had better speeds over the last couple days but nothing like I've had in the past. The exchange is supposed to be fixed 12 days ago. Typical BT!

Paul
N/A

Hi ruskie,

Did you say 15kbps (i.e. "bits") over the weekend?!

I cannot believe that exchange "virtual path" red status would cause speeds that low - even 15kBps (i.e. "bytes") is still extremeley low, and for most people, I suspect would not be within either BT's "planning guidance" or "product specification".

My exchange status has been showing red for weeks (possibly months) - during which time my data speeds have gone from perfectly healthy -> terrible -> perfectly healthy. The "terrible" phase problem lay with PlusNet - although we cannot easily tell whether this is the same in any particular case.

Mark H.
N/A

Yes I did say 15kbps! That was about two weeks ago. Things have picked up a bit now and I'm getting 150-200kbps (whooah!) on an ADSL max line. I was previously getting 600-700KB/sec downloads, now thats down to 20KB/sec! A big drop.

My Exchange has gone back to green so it doesn't appear to be the problem! I've logged a ticket with Plus net but scanning the forums, it appears to be a common problem at the moment.

I'm having problems running the second test at http://speedtester.bt.com/ because it times out! This is probably down to the number of upset users in the same boat!

Streaming video is now impossible without waiting 20 minutes to buffer. Well there goes the idea building a MCE PC! Sad Help!!

Paul
N/A

Does the speed vary during the day?

What is your connection profile? Have you done a BT speedtest?

Have you done the usual of removing all other devices and extensions from your telephone line, trying the modem on your master (ideally test socket) and swapping your modem for that of a friend to see if that makes a difference?

If none of that works try the Broadband Fault Checker to flag the issue with PN/BT.
N/A

My connection profile is 7000kbps. I'm plugged into the master socket via an extension cable which runs up stairs to my router. There is two phones that run off this socket. I could try unplugging all the phones.

I have got a BT Voyager modem hanging around that I've never tried. I could try this I suppose to rule out a router fault.

As for the BT Speedtest, I can't run the second test because it times out. I did manage to run it once about two weeks ago and I was getting 300kbps speeds.

Everything was working fine before 23/02/07. I've made no changes either software or hardware. The Exchange status was red but this has since gone back to green.

Paul
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Try removing the extension lead and moving the router to the master socket, these can cause all sorts of problems on a DSL line.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

my exchange is still red and the date now is march 28th!!!

I am getting speeds of 3mb/s when i should get 7mb+ and my download speeds vary at best 40kb/sec down to 10kb/s whether it be day or night!

Sodden thing is I am trying to download a 6gb file at the moment!
N/A

I tried plugging my router into the master socket, no other phones or filters on the line. I still get low speeds.

I've even tried a bundled BT Voyager connected to my laptop. No improvement!

Paul