Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus is [Removed]!!!

quizereus
Grafter

I was on ADSL Homesurf for 4 years.
For most of that time my download / upload speeds were good.
The rest of that time they were very good and I was happy with the 6.2 mb constant service.
Then I 'upgraded' to Broadband Plus.
initially the speeds were comparable or just slightly worse.
Just recently they have been extremely poor.
I raised a ticket complaining of 260 kpbs speeds
After a bit of a 'run around' I was told some thing or other has now been adjusted and my speed was 5.4 mb.. still not as high as I had got used to.
Then 'blow me down' 2 days later the speed drops to 160kpbs and I raise the same ticket again but so far no response.
Maybe I'll get more luck in this forum.
But what ever happens I am looking around for another provider, has any one tried the Sky package??
I have Sky tv and would consider trying them for broadband but only if I get enough favourable response.
I do not want to jump out of the frying pan only to land in the fire??
Quiz.

[Moderator's note by chillypenguin: Please do not swear in the subject line.]
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I am not sure that BB+ is an upgrade from Homesurf!

What is your usage like?

Chilly
Community Veteran

Homesurf is effectively the same as premier except without the AV/Spam filters and P2P/binay usenet facility. It has the same allowances as premier so BB+ would be a downgrade, not an upgrade to me.

As for your speed issues, unfortunately on Max, there are far too many causes for slow speeds to even start to make a guess, and a lot of those causes are outside PlusNets control.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I'd agree that Home Surf to Broadband Plus is a downgrade rather than an upgrade but be that as it may the problem doesn't look like it's anything to do with Broadband Plus but rather that around 17/03/2007 02:46:46 your line resync'd at a rate below 288kbps so BT have set the throughput rate on your line to 160kbps.

You can check this by running the BT Speedtest:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/bt_speed_tester.shtml

This should confirm this by showing the IP profile around 160kbps.

The way that Max works is that if the sync speed drops then BT will automatically decrease the throughput speed rate to match, but if the sync goes back up again it takes 3-5 days for the throughput rate to go back up again.

The best thing to do is to try and find out what caused the resync this morning, does the time help at all? Is there anything that could be using the line (e.g. Sky box calling home) or causing interference (e.g. security lights or central heating) that would cause the connection to drop? I'd also suggest taking a look through the following to see if anything helps:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

anything that is incorrect with the wiring could easily cause this kind of problem in particular a Sky box or alarm system or fax machine or something like that which isn't filtered correctly.
flicker
Grafter

Can I just jump in on this thread with a question?

You say that quizereus's line dropped at 02.46 etc etc and that bt have set the throughput rate to 160kbps. Does this mean then that if I switch off my modem/router or we have a power cut (which we frequently have here) they will do the same to me, and I will have to wait about 3 days to get a decent speed? I really don't understant this part of broadband at all. I am going away for a week at the end of the month, and was intending to switch off my electrical items, does this mean I have to leave my router on permanently then from now on? :?
Community Veteran

BT can (usually) detect the difference between equipment being turned off and bad signals/noise on the line causing a re-sync.

So switching off your equipment will not be treated the same as a bad line so you can switch it off.
flicker
Grafter

Aww, thanks, that's a relief. Smiley
N/A

My line resynched on 5th March and it's never gone back up.
Did a BT Speedtest this morning - IP thruput 108kbps.

Still it's slightly higher than dialup. Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@highway513764

What does http://speedtester.bt.com/ say now?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

I did a BT speedtest at 15.30

IP thruput 204kbps.

I rebooted the router and did another at 15.45

IP thruput 203kbps.

Plusnet told me last Monday they can't do anything as I'm migrating.

p.s. I wish the posting times were correct.We seem to be already in British Summer Time.
N/A

You need to go to Profile (above, left ^^) to change your time settings..... If you want GMT times to display, thats what you need to set it to. Wink

or just wait a week, and it'll be right again.... Cheesy
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

What does the IP profile say in the BT Speedtest? I presume it will be something like 250kbps. If you're migrating out and the new ISP has placed the migration order then BT's systems won't let us raise any orders or faults against the circuit, the only way to do so would be to either cancel the migration or wait for it to complete and the new ISP can look at it.
N/A

I'll just leave the times on the posts.

My IP profile is 250kbps.

I'll wait for my new ISP to deal with it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I'll wait for my new ISP to deal with it.

Good luck (I think you're going to need it!)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

I don't.

Time will tell. Smiley