cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus & BT Home Highway

N/A

This is my first ever forum post so I hope I'm doing this properly...

I have two questions:

1 - I am looking to upgrade to Broadband Plus but there doesn't appear to be any support for Frontpage Extensions - Why not?

2 - I currently use dialup with a BT Home Highway 64k digital line and also as part of the HH package I also have two seperate standard telephone lines that can be used while surfing on the digital line. My question is how will the Home Highway setup be affected by moving to broadband.

Any advise would be gratefully received.
3 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Re: Broadband Plus & BT Home Highway

This is my first ever forum post so I hope I'm doing this properly...

Welcome to the boards adamwolfe!

1 - I am looking to upgrade to Broadband Plus but there doesn't appear to be any support for Frontpage Extensions - Why not?

Broadband Plus is a very low cost, entry level broadband package aimed at the average user. The average user does not require CGI Access or Frontpage Extentions.

If you want those, then you'll need to pay extra for Broadband Premier.

Broadband Plus is, incase you didnt know, a traffic shaped service. This means that P2P downloading, heavy downloads and binary newsgroups are quite heavily slowed down at busy times, with a priority given to Web Browsing and E-Mail. Users have reported speed decreases of upto 80% between 7am in the morning and 2am at night.

This might be abother reason for choosing Premier over Plus, as Premier is a 'clean' connection with no traffic shaping applied.

2 - I currently use dialup with a BT Home Highway 64k digital line and also as part of the HH package I also have two seperate standard telephone lines that can be used while surfing on the digital line. My question is how will the Home Highway setup be affected by moving to broadband.

ADSL service will not run on ISDN or DACs'ed lines and therefore, unless you have a standard analogue PSTN line installed you can enable the broadband on, you will need an ISDN conversion. You book this at the same time as ordering your broadband with Plusnet. It costs £50, and this charge appears on your BT bill. Make sure to tick the box on the Plusnet signup wizard that you require an ISDN Conversion as the order will fail otherwise.

This will require a BT Engineer visit to your premesis, this will be booked at a time convenient to you. He will simply disable the ISDN, remove all the Home Highway kit, and leave you with an Analogue Standard PSTN line with broadband enabled.

As you probably know, you won't need the seperate voice / data lines you currently have with ISDN anyway, as ADSL works on the same line and you can use the phone at the same time.

Any advise would be gratefully received.

Hope that helped explain things a bit!
N/A

Many Thanks for your swift reply. You have answered both questions perfectly - many thanks.
LiamM
Grafter

No problems at all. Hope it helps you!