cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus - a saga of ineptitude

wobblymike
Grafter

My problems with PN go back well over 6 months and are still unresolved. I was experiencing (still am) dreadful download speeds e.g 300 kbits typical on what is supposed to be an 8 Mbit connection. Numerous fault tickets continually going round in circles saw me give up in sheer frustration some months back. I would have walked but PN want to charge me £67 for the priviledge of leaving a service that they aren't providing. I came back to this issue in january - more fault tickets more running round in circles and being treated like a statistic and not a customer until PN announce improved capacity on broadband Plus and offer a 1 month refund. In fairness my speeds went up to 3500 to 3900 consistently hardly earth shattering but better than 300. Now some 2 weeks later I am back to speeds of between 89 (worst) to 230 (best). Pretty grim - more fault tickets more running in circles. Plusnet I would like to know when you are going to sort this nonsense out - if you can't or won't let me move to someone who will without having to pay you for the priviledge of doing so. You are not providing me with what I am paying you for and have not for a considerable time. If I could talk to someone who knows what they are talking about that would be something instead if I want to talk to someone I usually have to sit listening to drivel for 20 minutes or so and then talk to someone who knows less that I do about the subject. It's all very frustrating and frankly wholly unacceptable. Please fix my problem and please talk to me.
101 REPLIES
N/A

I couldn't agree more.

I have had a similar experience where I practically had to blow a gasket to get someone at Plusnet to recognise that I had a problem with my landline and my broadband.

Plusnet have not been providing a service which is "not fit for purpose".
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Looking at the speed history for your line from BT it looks like your line sync'd at a rate below 288kbps around 05/03/2007 21:24:59. This decrease in sync rate will have caused BT to decrease the throughput speed on your line.

The way that DSLMax works is that if the sync speed decreases then the throughput rate will decrease straight away (usually within 1 hour) but if the sync increases then the throughput rate takes 3-5 days to also increase.

So long as your line stays sync'd at a higher rate without decreasing then within 3-5 days it will go back up again.

Does the time help? Anything that happened on Monday evening that could have caused your router/modem to resync at a lower rate. As I say it may only take a few minutes sync'd at a lower rate to decrease the throughput so you may not have noticed it, but it will take 3-5 days to go back up again.
wobblymike
Grafter

No I can attach no significance to that time and the speed reduction happened before that i.e. a few days after your "improvements" to Broadband plus had indeed seen my speed go up to 3500 plus consistently.

My speeds are now 130 consistently - no good to me at all. I look to PN to fix this pronto or allow me to leave without charge.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

It looks like BT have actually increased your profile back to 1Mb, therefore the line conditions appear to have increased slightly.
If your equipment continues to sync higher then your profile will automatically be increased, this is the way MAX dsl is designed to work.

It may be worth reading through the following post for more information on MAX.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52181
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

My speeds are now 130 consistently - no good to me at all. I look to PN to fix this pronto or allow me to leave without charge.

If it your sync speed / IP profile that has fallen to 130, then its not PlusNet's fault.

Its either yours (internal wiring or micro filters), or a fault with your BT phone line.

Although tedious it is worth tracking down the cause of the fault, as it will move with you to a new isp.

Chilly
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Chilly is right there, as it is the BT Wholesale equipment causing the profile to drop then this would be replicated across any ISP using the BT infrastructure.

Try removing any extension leads, changing filters and connecting the modem/router to the master socket, all of these help to eliminate your internal setup being the cause of the issues.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
wobblymike
Grafter

Guys - how many times do I have to repeat the same thing I have done all these things on many ocassions - nothing makes any difference. It is not my equipment that is at fault. I have connected my PC up to my neighbours system result 5000 plus. I have connected her PC up to my system result 130. I have connected my modem to her system result 5000 plus I have connected her router to my system result 130. What further proof do you want that the problem lies external to my PC and my system?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

If you raise this as a fault by the fault checker under connection settings on the left we can look into this for you, however something is causing the line to sync at a lower rate for a short period, that could be anything between your equipment and the exchange and doesn't necessarily need to be your PC or router, it could be a faulty cable or filter, something plugged into the line unfiltered or something that isn't even connected to the line that's causing interference such as street lights or central hearing or a number of other things.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If your IP Profile has been set down by BT, connecting to the master socket etc. will NOT see an instant improvement in speedtest results. You will need to be watching for lack of disconnects, consistent high sync speeds reported by your router/modem and an IP Profile rising over three or more days.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
wobblymike
Grafter

Dave
Thank you for your comments - firstly I have raised faults via the fault checker until I'm sick of the sight of it - by the way do you know why my question about this problem has been closed and disappeared from sight? The problem is not a faulty cable or filter - I have replaced filters twice, I have replaced the ethernet and rj11 cables without it making any difference. All of this info I provided in my question which you had an input to yesterday and which has now disappeared. Your other suggestions I find very hard to give any credence too; if there was anything in it, why did my system operate at 3500 plus just a few weeks ago? Nothing has changed before or since so no I cannot accept this. Also my immediate neighbour who is with Orange is experiencing 5500 plus both with her equipment and mine as I have told you on numerous occasions over the last few days. The problem has to be with PN or my line - as I have said before I am fed up of this, I am not being provided with the service advertised and for which I am paying my monthly subscription. Either fix it or allow me to move to an ISP that will provide the service advertised.
N/A

Either fix it or allow me to move to an ISP that will provide the service advertised.

I don't want to in any way downplay your problems, but if it is a line fault- and it is starting to look that way- then moving ISP will simply carry the situation with you.

Lines do unfortunately change, flooding and storm damage being the classics, and it'll probably require investigation from BT or the establishment of a identifiable pattern to find out what's causing your sync speed to drop.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The problem with a fault like this as jelv points out is that it isn't going to be an instant fix. Once your line becomes stable then it needs to stay stable for 3-5 days for the throughput to increase.

It could easily be some kind of one off problem that caused the line to lose sync and re-sync at a lower rate before the sync increased again. Just because nothing's changed on your side doesn't mean that could have been a random noise spike or some other kind of interference that caused the problem.

This unfortunately is how Max works and copes with random drops in sync and there isn't a lot that can be done about it. Chances are in a couple of days it will all be back to normal and it was something random that you will never find the cause of but it's always best to ensure that everything your side is fine.

Looking at your account, I can see the ticket but it looks as though it's closed so should appear under the closed tickets.
wobblymike
Grafter

All right gents - what do I do now? I'll sit and wait a few days no problem but what do I do to establish the cause of the problem?
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Your speed profile increased to 1Mb yesterday which means your equipment had been syncing above this stably for 3 days, if your equipment continues to sync higher then the profile will increase again. I can't stress enough that this is not a problem caused by Plusnet but is something either in your premises, along the line or at the exchange causing the speed profile to drop.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team