cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Home Network

N/A

Broadband Home Network

I'm looking at upgrading to ADSL in the next couple of months but I'm trying to understand how to connect it all together. I have a PC upstairs and would also like a connection downstairs (to allow me to connect up my xbox).
I have phone points in the right places but don't know which modems/routers I would need to connect both up to ADSL - note I don't need them networked as such, as I don't need the PC connected to the xbox.
I presume I could get an adsl router and cable up the xbox but is there an alternative to running cable through the floors? e.g. can I get two adsl modems and run them at the same time?
3 REPLIES
filby
Grafter

RE: Broadband Home Network

I bought a Netgear ADSL Wireless Router (£100) that came with a free wireless PCMCIA card and it is auto configuring, I now have a wireless network that I can connect anything to...easy.
N/A

You can not have 2 modems connected at the same time you cant even have 2 modems pluged in at the same time.

A router is the ideal way of doing it networking your xbox gives you loads of usefull stuff to do with it.

> I'm looking at upgrading to ADSL in the next couple of months but I'm trying to understand how to connect it all together. I have a PC upstairs and would also like a connection downstairs (to allow me to connect up my xbox).
> I have phone points in the right places but don't know which modems/routers I would need to connect both up to ADSL - note I don't need them networked as such, as I don't need the PC connected to the xbox.
> I presume I could get an adsl router and cable up the xbox but is there an alternative to running cable through the floors? e.g. can I get two adsl modems and run them at the same time?

bluewhale
Grafter

You could get one usb modem and use it on which ever machine you need adsl connection.

If you go down the wireless/router route the just be careful about the type of router and what you want to run over it, not all routers support say VPN and other functions.

Take a look on the adslguide forums to get info on what routers support and what problems people have had.