cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Fault Checker

Community Veteran

Broadband Fault Checker

I am very impressed by this service. My ADSL completely stopped working yesterday. Never had any problems with it before but suddenly I was getting no sync light at all. Tried two diferent routers in thew master socket and all the usual things but no luck. Contacted BT because it was obviously a fault with them but they told me to contact Plus Net. I went through the broadband fault checker using a dial up connection and withen 5 minutes the sync light on my router started flashing and then came on solid green and I had broadband again. How can this be fixed so quick? Do Plus Net just send a signal to BT to reset something on my line?
Anyone else had a strange problem like this which was resolved as quickly?
5 REPLIES
chrisc
Grafter

Broadband Fault Checker

TBH the fault checker runs some initial tests on the line to try and highlight anything major that may be causing the problem.

It doesn't make any requests to BT and isn't normally responsible for actually fixing faults Cheesy - normally it diagnoses problems which can then be fixed.

My thinking is the problem may have been due to some minor work at your local exchange or in your area that temporarily dropped your sync.

Glad to see everything is resolved tho Cheesy
Bookman
Grafter

Broadband Fault Checker

I think the Plusnet staff read Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels and they've got themselves a wizard in a pointy hat to detect and sort out the problems! Wink
Community Veteran

Broadband Fault Checker

Probably just coincidence that my ADSL came back on just after I completed the form. Don't really care as long as it stays on! I did notice that the phone line went completely dead for a minute or so before everything came back on as normal. Probably just something at my exchange.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Broadband Fault Checker

I think the Plusnet staff read Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels and they've got themselves a wizard in a pointy hat to detect and sort out the problems! Wink

I wonder if Liam has a pointy hat Smiley
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Broadband Fault Checker

Probably just coincidence that my ADSL came back on just after I completed the form. Don't really care as long as it stays on! I did notice that the phone line went completely dead for a minute or so before everything came back on as normal. Probably just something at my exchange.

Anything show up here for your exchange:

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

Or it's possible that it was automated testing that fixed it. When you raise a fault via the fault checker it does a series of remote tests on the line, one of the tests is a copper line test which will make the phone line go dead for a minute or so. Over the years I've seen the odd fault now and again fixed just by running this test (the theory is that one of the solenoids that does this testing is stuck somehow causing a broadband fault but running the woosh test resets them).