cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Contention Ratios

garywood84
Grafter

Where on the PlusNet website can I find the contention ratios for the various broadband packages?
10 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

Contention ratios are no longer used with most ADSL products.

BT removed them from their wholesale products and most ISP's have now done the same.

Your traffic via Plusnet is now QoS'd by the Ellacoya management kit and most protocols will run a upto line speed whilst others are managed and given different priorities.

For further information and details see this page

http://usergroup.plus.net/shaping.php

Hope that helps.
flatspot
Dabbler

Hi, I just read this could you confirm what it actually means...

Contention ratios are no longer used with most ADSL products.

BT removed them from their wholesale products and most ISP's have now done the same.

I ask this as I'm paying extra per month for a lower contention ratio. If I'm not getting a lower ratio then what advantage am I getting by paying the extra money?

Thanks.
hitachi
Grafter

Although the ratios are no longer quoted the old 20-1 products are given a higher priority by BT.
aetos
Grafter

anywhere that BT state that?Huh
garywood84
Grafter

Thanks to those who have replied to this.

The reason I asked this question is that I have recently switched to DSLmax and am now seeing speeds ranging from 2Mbps-5Mbps, even though my router is syncing at 7616 kbps.

My understanding was that this speed variation, and the fact that I never see speeds even close to the sync speed, was due to contention on the connection - i.e. at peak periods the connection is slower because there's greater competition for the available bandwidth through the Plus servers.

Given that contention is no longer used on ADSL products, I assume that restrictions in speed are due to the traffic shaping?

That being the case, it seems there should be speed variations between ISPs provisioning the same service (DSLmax in my case).

If my thinking is correct, here, how are consumers now supposed to evaluate broadband offerings from different ISPs? An "up to 8Mbps" service can only be that if the ISP has adequate bandwidth into the BT network and hence, the speeds we see on our connections may not be "the fastest our lines can support" but rather the fastest the ISPs connection into BTs service can provide.
N/A

with a sync of 7616kbps, your maximum potential data rate is 6Mbps (a lot of the 7616kbps sync is overhead/unusable)

Given PlusNet contention, BTW central contention, and you aren't seeing less than 400kbps (the BT fault threshold) - your speed looks fine to me.
garywood84
Grafter

gotdsl,

I'm not suggesting that my speed is not OK - I'm quite happy with it.

However, do you agree with my points that another ISP could be faster but with the DSLmax service there's no way of benchmarking them?

Gary
N/A

Absoloutely.. but everyone is very much at the mercy of BTW, and how the economics of the ISP populating a central work.

It's not as clear cut as it used to be, but now ISP's are using the phrase "upto 8meg broadband", they can get away with almost anything they like Wink
garywood84
Grafter

What we need is a website like ADSLguide.org to start recording the results of speedtests it runs and publishing average figures for each ISP.
N/A