cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BroadBand router speeds

N/A

BroadBand router speeds

Hi Guys!

I read these threads with interest....i too am supposed to be on the 8mb max dsl...however when i connect via my Dlink 524T router i am lucky to manage connection speeds of 1800 - 2000 mbps.

Here is my adsl status...should i be getting better than this??

ADSL status shows the ADSL physical layer status.

ADSL Firmware Version: 6.00.01.00 - 6.00.01.00 - 6.00.04.00 Annex A - 01.07.2b - 0.54
ADSL Software Version: V3.00B01T02.UK-A.20060621
Line State Connected
Modulation ADSL_G.dmt
Annex Mode Annex A
Max Tx Power -38 dBm/Hz

Item Downstream Upstream Unit
SNR Margin 11 24 dB
Line Attenuation 50 29 dB
Data Rate 3328 448 kbps

Thanks.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

BroadBand router speeds

Hiya,

Looking at your stats, a downstream line antennuation of 50db is quite high, although your SNR Margin is pretty good at 11db
On a regular IPStream line, I would expect to see your line profiled at 1Mb, maybe 2Mb at a push, however BT set the maximum downstream limit line antennuation at 43db (It might have been 46db but can't remember to be exact) because of the amount of unstable connections they had in the past.

So, going back to what you should expect to see on MAX, I think what you're seeing now is about right (at 3Mb down), however MAX is based on the SNR margin rather than the downstream dB antennuation, please bear in mind that they do not guarantee 8Mb speeds, they state UP to 8Mb, and if you did sync with the exchange at 8128, the absolute maximum throughput you would see is 7150 because of the overheads associated with data transfer.

Can you tell me what your previous fixed line rate was, and can you tell me roughly how far from the exchange you are.

If you're unsure, have a look at Samknows pop your phone number into the checker and it should tell you all this information as well as if there are any VP (Virtual Path) Capacity problems (Red Status)

I hope this helps you.

Kind regards,

Roger.
N/A

BroadBand router speeds

Hi Roger,

Thanks for that...very informative!

I live approx 1.5 miles to the exchange...i was originally using a US Robotics ADSL usb modem....it used to show connect speeds of 4.3 mbps!...although the fastest i ever achieved was downloads of approx 3.1mbs...which sounds about right with what you saud earlier.

At the moment i am lucky to get better than 1800 kbps using a reliable speedtester.

Thanks

Mike.
Community Veteran

BroadBand router speeds

Hi Mike,

Glad I could help.

Just so you don't feel so alone, I constantly sync with the exchange at 8128, however because I have VP congestion, during peak times I'm lucky to see 3mb maximum, in the wee hours, I usually see 6.5-7Mb without any bother.

Another thing is to maybe try a different filter, it might have an effect on your SNR increasing your sync speed, although I can't guarantee that it will work - there are so many variables involved it's impossible to give a definitive answer.

I guess that I have been fortunate in the fact that I live only 1.7km from the exchange, have a good line and that even though I was buying blindly, I bought a Belkin F5D7633 router that has been rock solid, even when the SNR has dropped to 4.3,(that's even with my xmas lights on!!!) it's never dropped it's sync.

There have been suggestions that disconnecting the ring wire from the socket helps increase the SNR as this wire acts as some kind of antenna.. again this belongs in that "variables" scenario, so if you have a bit of time, it might pay to try buying some new filters to start with and see if that improves things..

Regards,

Roger.
N/A

BroadBand router speeds

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7616 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 4 db 1.5 db
Noise Margin 15 db 19 db

Internets pretty quick, between 6 / 4 during the day time, yey Cheesy
N/A

BroadBand router speeds

O.K guys....things getting worse....speed now very slow.

Below are the results of a BT Speedtest;

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user ********** and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

129 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is **********, your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and is running on Windows XP.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

I have raised a fault with PN but as yet they say they are monitoring the situation!

Anymore ideas?

Thanks.
N/A

BroadBand router speeds

Here are the results of a speedtest with BT this morning;

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 152 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2848 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 95 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.