Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder increases speeds again

Bigbrotherjx
Grafter

Blueyonder is increasing speeds again by a third again Sad
We're facing a problem! How is ADSL going to stay competitive when cable companies can offer twice the bandwidth for virtually the same price?
34 REPLIES
N/A

Because cable is only available to a limited number of the UK population! It's likely to remain that way for the forcible future.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Because they have income from other sources not just Internet connections, so can Offer more for less. So they have more ready cash to fall back on if it goes wrong.

p.s. as stated not everywhere has cable, in the Highlands the Councils took the stance that they wouldn't allow NTL and BY to rip up all the pavements. So no cable for Highlands.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Hey
Why not go get it, cable I mean that is if you want your "garden/path/drive" ripping up.
Good on the Scotish Councils for not allowing it, these contractors never ever put back pavements/footpaths as they should be, not to mention other services that they cut through whilst laying their cable :!:
LiamM
Grafter

I live on a fairly new estate so all the cable lines have been dropped into each house, but they're not actually connected to a provider. We're the only estate in my area that have all the cable lines already in. The nearest cable comes to us is where it comes up the M5 Motorway about 5 miles away. Not sure they want to dig up the road and connect us up, though, as there is only 60 odd houses.
LiamM
Grafter

Further to that reply ^, I have always found Cable broadband to be fairly unreliable, in that it is impossible to acheive speeds as advertised due to the very real contention issues. I've tried out 2 blueyonder connections and an NTL connection in different areas at different times and never acheived as fast as I get on my PN 1Mb ADSL.
N/A

p.s. as stated not everywhere has cable, in the Highlands the Councils took the stance that they wouldn't allow NTL and BY to rip up all the pavements. So no cable for Highlands.

Ripping up pavements and roads would be a good thing. Look at the state of british roads and pavements! No nly we will get cable but also new roads Smiley
N/A

Hi

molszewski wrote
Ripping up pavements and roads would be a good thing. Look at the state of british roads and pavements! No nly we will get cable but also new roads

Are you living on a different planet...............lay new road surfaces, you must be joking :lol:
N/A

Thats exactly why councils won't allow it, ebcause they have to foot the bill to do that afterwards.
N/A

This will force them into doing what they should have done a long time ago
N/A

Most roads in my town have very little wrogn with them. However, since the visit from Telewest, we have some very bad roads now, which isn't the fault of the councils.

They are actualy too busy to do preventative maintenance now, because of the replacment work they ahve to do.

To make matters worse, out of the 10,000 homes that now have cable running past there doorsteps, under 3% actualy reside in part fo the town where they actualy supply service.

I admit, doesn't mean others shoudl get away scott free doing nothing to increase speeds.
N/A

well its gonna have to be cable companies or BT that rip up the roads, and hey if you are lucky enough to get cable you will soo be able to get 10mbit internet axx (supposadly by mid 2005 or sommit) so at that point you will have a 5x speed diff between cable and BT broadband... and probable not more that a 2x cost difference. So i can see BT ripping up the roads at that point or they will start to loose out to cable big time

copper or fiber, copper or fiber ... copper or fiber.. hummm hard choice for future proofing .. so Cable will win unless BT DO SOMTHING

buz
LiamM
Grafter

true, the future is Fibre imo... but for the moment... Broadband is better as ADSL rather than Cable.
N/A

Just read the new speed of the blueyonder service. 4mb download 356 sumert like that upload. Damm i want a faster up
N/A

Cable has been installed near me, and NTL managed to employ some cowboy contractor who's complete wrecked the road. However I don't think they are 100% to blame, since the water board etc, and have done their fair share of road wrecking. In fact the council sued the water company because they did such a bad job hehe, and forced them to pay for the whole road to be completly re-surfaced by the council.

If PN were able to offer 3 or 4Mb connections, it would be nice but honestly there must come a point when the extra speed becomes semi redundant. In addition all this talk of possible caps, means that with increased speeds it'll be easier and more likely that people will hit these caps earlier on.

Aaron