cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocked Ports?

N/A

Blocked Ports?

Can any one tell me if PlusNet has started blocking certain ports?
11 REPLIES
N/A

Blocked Ports?

On all packages, PlusNet block ports 135 and 445 to prevent the spread of worms. If you're on an account which blocks P2P activity (such as the old ADSL Home Surf package, or if you have the Surf option activated on your account)) then P2P ports are blocked. On the new Broadband Plus package certain high-bandwidth activities are throttled, but not necessarily blocked.
N/A

Block Ports?

Why has Plusnet decided to do this to me now after nearly three years with them, they could at lest informed me.
My annual contract is up in September so I may be looking for a new IPS, Evil if this is the way they treat old customers.
N/A

Blocked Ports?

What account are you on? The Surf accounts have always blocked P2P, although this blocking has recently been made more efficient.

If you are referring to the port 135/445 port blocks, I believe this was documented at the time, and was necessary to prevent the spread of many worms, especially MS Blaster. Without this block, the network would have been flooded with useless traffic, and could have caused all sorts of problems.
N/A

Blocked Ports?

Hi Chris,
The port number 6346, it is only in the last two-three days I can not connect.
I know it is P2P but I have never had any trouble before.
N/A

Blocked Ports?

Hi,

If you're an ADSL Home Surf customer as I suspect, P2P has always been blocked on this account, along with a few other bandwidth-intensive activities - hence why the package is cheaper.

If you wish to have your P2P usage unrestricted, I would suggest upgrading to the £21.99/month Broadband Premier package.
N/A

Blocked Ports?

Hi Chris,
Yes I am a ADSL Home Surf.
You say P2P has always been blocked on this account, yet I have been using P2P for nearly three years, I must have been lucky.
Your suggest upgrading to the £21.99/month Broadband Premier package I may have to do this, but I think I might look at some more options first.
Thanks,
Martin Stubbs
N/A

Blocked Ports?

Sorry, I should clarifty that a bit. The Home Surf account was always sold as "not allowing P2P activity". In the past, the blocking wasn't that good (I think it was port based), but recently PlusNet improved the filter. So, theoretically, P2P has always been disallowed, although it's only recently been cracked down on.
N/A

Block Ports?

Hi Chris,
I am back again.
Just another question, you suggested Broard Band Premier, I have had a looked again at the details and I noticed that under Security Heading it states,
Safe Surf Option.
Stay safe by blocking P2P access.
As this is an option can I access P2P? or will I be blocked again.
Regards,
Martin
N/A

Blocked Ports?

In the Broadband Premier package, you the user have the option to enable or disable P2P access.

With Surf mode enabled, P2P is blocked. With it disables, P2P is allowed.

The original Broadband Home products, HomeSurf and Easystart do not have this option available to them. HomeSurf is blocked as this is how it is sold, and Eaststart & Home are allowed.
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Blocked Ports?

Are +Net supposed to be blocking 135/445 Huh

My firewall constantly gets hit on these ports by other plus net IPs. Damn annoying noise filling up the logs.
N/A

Blocked Ports?

Ports 135 and 445 are blocked at the network borders, so you won't get people from other ISPs hitting your machine. However, my understanding is that the Juniper terminators they use on the ADSL platform cannot perform this sort of blocking internally. Only the Redback aggregator (which is used as an overflow for the third Juniper) can, so internal blocking isn't currently possible for most of the platform.