cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocked Ports / VPN

N/A

Blocked Ports / VPN

Hello, I'm trying to get a VPN setup and working in my house, and I just want to rule out Plusnet as being a problem... what ports do they block (if any)

VPN uses 50,51,500,1723
16 REPLIES
N/A

Blocked Ports / VPN

Hi there,

Full details of the only ports blocked by Plus Net can be found on the UserGroup site here

None of the ports you have listed are blocked on any accounts.

I personally use VPN (1723) on a regular basis to connect to my office network.
Community Veteran

Blocked Ports / VPN

Depends on the package you are on.

See the bottom of http://usergroup.plus.net/prodinfo.php for blocked ports.

VPN itself should not be affected unless yu are using a non-standard port.
N/A

Blocked Ports / VPN

hummm, I really don't understand why I can't get my VPN to work.

I'm trying to create a VPN, I've forwarded port 1723, 50, 51 and 500 to either my laptop or PC and created vpn accounts on those machines (am using the windows xp vpn just for testing purposes)

no 1 is able to connect, the firewall on both machines is off does anyone have any ideas? I thought it could have been norton, but ruled this out by testing it on my laptop
N/A

Blocked Ports / VPN

The Windows VPN client is fairly straight forward to configure.

Are you geting any error messages when trying to connect?
N/A

Blocked Ports / VPN

800 - Unable to establish the VPN connection. The VPN server may be un-reachable, or security parameters may not be configured properly for this connection.

Using a WAG54G
N/A

Blocked Ports / VPN

Are you sure it's TCP/UDP port 50 that needs to be redirected and not protocol 50 (which I believe is ISAKMP)?

Ian
prichardson
Grafter

Blocked Ports / VPN

Hi,

In addition to this, your responce seems to suggest that you may possibly using only the VPN client. You don't appear to note what VPN server is in use (XP Home & Pro do not feature a VPN server).

There is no reason why a VPN should not function, as prior to working for PlusNet, I very often used VPN between two PlusNet connections and external sites.

Kind Regards,
N/A

Blocked Ports / VPN

I will have a look at what's being fwd

use win xp home as server
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm

Tried this with a friend on another ISP, I belive he has the same setup as myself and it works for him...
N/A

Blocked Ports / VPN

It depends on your router as IPSec is not ports 50 and 51 but protocols 50 and 51. Just mapping the ports won't work, your router needs to support IPSec VPN passthrough.

From http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/port-table.html :
Network Protocols
Note that certain services such as IPSec and Microsoft's PPTP use non-TCP/UDP protocols so they may be more complicated to use. In particular, PPTP uses GRE (protocol 47) and IPSec uses ESP (protocol 50) and AH (protocol 51). Protocol numbers are not the same as port numbers. IANA maintains the Assigned Internet Protocol Numbers.

Ian
N/A

Blocked Ports / VPN

ok, I think its new hardware time then Smiley IPSec enabled router then? Just 1 question, while I was on work placement the compnay was using a router that you create a VPN account on and then connect to the router (as in the router seemed like a server) Is this possible? if so what do I need to look for when buying a router?

Sorry to be idiotic, im not from a networking background so all this stuff is kinda a grey area for me, thanks for the help tho guys its proved to be most helpful
N/A

Blocked Ports / VPN

The NetGear DG834 does this is in the beta firmware I have installed. I haven't installed the new production firmware though so can't say whether it made it to the full release.

Ian
N/A

Blocked Ports / VPN

Thanks for the suggestion on the netgear, but every router I seem to look at only supports PPPoE and not PPPoA which is what my Plusnet connection is...

Can someone talk me through the setup of how this works, because I spoke to linksys and am totally confused... they claim that the router will sit behind the modem and the router needs to support PPPoA which they don't as yet make 1... this confused the hell out of me, doesn't the modem do all the connection handling?

Anyway Unless I get that netgear 1, I will need a Router and a Modem (or a router with in built modem) what should I be looking for?
N/A

Blocked Ports / VPN

Any router that I have seen and which is supplied in the UK will and does support PPoA.

Without doubt the Netgear one does and I would be surprised to find that a UK spec Linksys dosnt support PPoA.

My strong recomendation would be to go for the Netgear router. It will meet your requirments and more.
N/A

Blocked Ports / VPN

Smiley Im being awkward as Im not a huge fan of Netgear... but can we clear 1 thing up

Does the router even need to be PPPoA or does the modem need to be?