Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blip Logic Query

Aterlatus
Grafter

Blip Logic Query

Heya guys,

Just wondering if anyone can clear this one up for me. Thanks to good old Blip Logic (which isn't very logical afterall, the irony...) I'm stuck at 135kbps atm (as per the IP Profile).

The thing I'm wondering, is once BT have decided I've suffered enough and they lift the IP Profile up to something useable will the change take effect immediately or will I need to reset my router for it to fire in?

If it's the latter and any of the comms guys can give me a better idea of when it's gonna be lifted it'd make my life a lot easier - I won't have to sit here resetting my router every 5 minutes for the next few days ;p

Also, is it a purely time based thing or is there anything can be done to expedite the process? I remember with the old ISDN boxes you could reset it by popping the ethernet cable in and out rapidly for five seconds and it'd all work peachy after that - any other similar tricks in the ADSL world?
8 REPLIES
prichardson
Grafter

Blip Logic Query

Blip Logic is a software solution designed by BT, after the concept of Max.

It was designed to prevent a single one of blip, changing the profile. Instead, it requires 2 or more changes within a 72 hour period for the profile to be reduced.

By changes, this means 2 or more resyncs, or 1 resync that remains at a reduced speed between 2 points of monitoring.

As this is a software solution, and part of the BRAS/RAMBO system, it does not form any part of ADSL standard itself.

It's easy to trick it into reducing your profile, as you appear to be aware. It is not however possible to trick it into increasing it.

The only way it will increase is to allow that standard 3 to 5 days of service at or above level X, for X to become the new profile.

Now, we could raise a fault with BT, however this would be a waste of your time, our resources and will only get the normal BT response.

That is "you need to wait upto 5 days".

It's a waste of our resources, because we know what will be coming. Though we will do this, if line statistics and historical records show it should ahve increased by now (ie, the 5 days has passed).

It's a waste of your time, because frankly, the process of doing it via a fault, takes much longer than allowing the 5 days to pass (if not because of the message above about 5 days, but because it plays ping-pong between us and BT).

My experaince is that it will tend to go towards the tail end of the 5 days. The software likes to cut things very fine, but then it does have countless knows how many lines, then countless knows how many records per line to process.
Community Veteran

Blip Logic Query

and of course if BT did it the way LLU does and just allows your data rate to be your sync speed and not have any data rate limits / profiles, non of the above would be needed or cause so much trouble. You have a bad day, your sync speed drops, you reboot your router/modem and your back to your normal speeds, no messing about with 3 or 5 days waiting for BT to catch up.

Often the simple way of doing things is the best.
prichardson
Grafter

Blip Logic Query

Ah, but I would also say there is a case to answer for the BRAS and Blip Logic system too, though this does require everything to be in harmony (ie, it includes the customers equipment/setup).

One such example was a case were everytime a customer tried to transfer data at level around the sync rate of the connection (ie, full speed), the connection would drop out.

This caused the profile of the line to drop very quickly.

With this lower profile, the line continued to sync at the higher rate, but without a single drop.

Only, because of this stability, the line would increase it's profile after 5 days, and a period of several hours came by were the customer would see instability.

Now because the connection required use to obviously saturate the connection, the customer could see the problems and it has a direct impact on his use.

The profile selected was very low once it dropped.

Once Blip logic came in with other improvements, the customers connection stability managed to settle with a balance in the middle.

Now this does not happen on LLU, without manual changes by our support team.

Yes, the automated systems has its issues, but then that is because it is automated and designed to monitor, react to events and is confined to logic, not gut feeling.

The purpose though, is to ensure that some form of service is possible and that throughput on the connection does not trigger a drop.
Aterlatus
Grafter

Blip Logic Query

Thanks for clearing that up Phil, just hope I don't get stuck at 135kbps again :S

If it does I'll have to take a look at the alternatives - this last week has stopped me doing a lot of my regular online activities. If the LLU providers don't use the same system, am I still able to use PN if an LLU provides the line? Been with you guys for years and don't wanna let go ;p
Aterlatus
Grafter

Blip Logic Query

Oh, and forgot - I still don't know if I need to reset my router to get speeds back up to normal once the IP profile is lifted or if it'll just jump back up automagically ;p
Community Veteran

Blip Logic Query

Since last week we've had problems with speed drops and subsequent stable rate drops - haven't reported it yet as am still investigating this end to get a pattern to it. Currently, everything is plugged into the back of the main BT socket.

However, I've found that doing the BT Speed Test seems to send the stable rate back up much faster than the usual 3 days. Like, for example, it went down to 500 again yesterday evening after which I did the speed test and it's back to 4000 this morning.

It will probably be down low again soon though, because we lost the connection overnight and the line was synced at some pathetic speed (still not connected either) before I rebooted this morning.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
prichardson
Grafter

Blip Logic Query

There is no need to reboot your equipment. Although a new connection is required for the change we make (as a result of the BT change), this will occur naturally within 12 hours of the increase anyhow.

Rebooting should not half it, but I see no reason to do this more than one per day.

Based on experiance of the faults process, seeing the times that decreases occur, I would recomend during the day or early evening to perform these reboots.

Disconnections that cause drops tend to occur after 10pm and throughout the early hours of the morning.

Read into why it occurs more at this time as you will, however there are a number of potential causes for this.

Anything from bugs in modem hardware (there was recently a netgear issue that occured at the same time of day, everyday, without fail), to environmental factors (huge temperature differance).

There is however the candidate of an over excited BRAS and Blip Logic system, able to crunch more subtle differances during these hours, as connections are used less.

Pure speculation, never tested the theory and all perfectly viable.

Now I shall return to my book in the corner of my holiday home, foil hat and gentle rocking motion.
Aterlatus
Grafter

Blip Logic Query

I'd blame....

Odds are BT do more internal maintainance during the night so I'd link it into that somehow.

Anywaits, my IP Profile was finally lifted! Don't get too excited though, it only came up from 135k to 250k. Sad

Any chance one of the comms guys can check up on things and give me an idea of when I can expect it to come up a bit higher?

Seems my BRAS is stuck at 500k now too (was 4000 yesterday) - can that be given a kick at the same time? Last thing I want is to get the IP Profile back up and then be throttled by the BRAS for another 3 days Sad

At least it's on it's way back up now though - how many of you can say you woke up this morning and found your broadband speed had doubled? /grin