cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bittorrent extremely slow download speed

N/A

Dam before month i dont have problems with Bittorrent i have normal download speed 250kB/s but now i have 15kB/s what's happened with plusnet please answer me.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Extremely slow download speeds

Hi, same problem here at the same speed as you 15kb/s. I phoned last night and Plusnet said that they were trying to resolve the problem - but wouldn't say what the problem is.

taffs
Alecto
Grafter

If you look around the forum a bit, you will see several posts like yours.
There does seem to be a problem with P2P for some people, though by no means all.
I'm assuming all your setting are right, your ports forwarded correctly, you have encryption enabled and your client or its default ports have not been banned by the trackers you are usingHuh??

Plusnet have said that they will sort it out, but it looks as though they are pinning their hopes on identifying encrypted traffic and slowing it down. They have said nothing else that leads me to believe they are taking any other approach.

I've told them that I don't see how this can solve it at all, but they choose not to reply.

So there's nothing to be done other than wait and see if they really do fix it, or see if you have better luck with another ISP. I can't recommend between these options.
N/A

I dont use bittorrent, but I have been having the same problem for the last 12 days with my VPN traffic (encrypted, IPSEC) in the evenings.

PlusNet has not answered yet what is going on.

I think that I have found the answer myself... I would never have thought that my Company's VPN traffic was low priority...

It stinks...

Broadband Speed and Latency Problems (Refs 35406 & 35469) - RESOLVED

Please note that we are still conducting work in relation to a separate speed issue relating to slow speeds across lower priority traffic. A copy of this report can be seen here for your reference:-
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1158168848.htm
N/A

Sorted

Hi,Download speed today is back to 120kbps, seems it was Plusnets fault after all.

Thanks for all your help anyway.

taffs
N/A

Plusnet at fault! Are you sure?
craiglay
Grafter

P2P if far from an exact science and even if you had the best isp in the world, you cant guarentee maxing out your connection. The reason is the A in ADSL. You may have a wonderout 8Mbit connection, but u can only upload at ~488KBit (MaxDSL) or about 40-50KB/sec.

With Bittorrent, you have to share this up with a number of leachers, (5 i think normally) so thats about 10KB/sec and that doesn't factor upload limits, other uploads, etc..

Also, u could be flooding your upstream connection, try limiting you upload to 50% your connection speed, I find this far outperforms unlimited as your packets will start timing out and dropping requiring resending.

Same goes for most P2P...