cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bittorrent 30k max on premier account

N/A

Yesterday my dls were great but today I cant get higher than 30k dl with 0k ul using bittorrent. My normal downloads still go at 190k+.

Also it doesnt matter how many torrents I add the cumlative amount is always 30k with 0k ul.

Is my account being throttled?
26 REPLIES
HellFire
Grafter

The thing to remember with bittorrent is you download off different people all the time and its them that govern how much bandwidth the share so some days you will get more than others the best way is try normal sites, you might also want to use a download manager that allows parallel downloads
N/A

This isn't due to peers its due to the fact plusnet will not allow traffic through the ports used by bittorrent at max speed.

More restrictions being applied to an account that is becoming less and less attractive everyday.
HellFire
Grafter

I’ve had full bandwidth from P2P
Alecto
Grafter

This isn't due to peers its due to the fact plusnet will not allow traffic through the ports used by bittorrent at max speed.

The port makes no difference. Pn's equipment can tell whether it's P2P traffic or not just by examining it (don't know how) and slow it down accordingly.

But that said, my P2P is generally 200k plus with a good source, so I suspect that ithe problem most people have is either with their setup or with the source.

Though there has been a quite frequent occurrence where my download has shot up to 230k, the slowly dwindled to zero, as though somebody is throttling it back, before coming back up to 200 ish and staying there. I don't know the technicalities, but it looks as though their throttler leaps on P2P and chokes it off, then looks to see if you're a premier customer and opens the tap again to 90%.

Try the test torrents or UK Nova to check that it's not your setup or the torrents you're using that are causing the problem.
N/A

Very strange for me as well I've just noticed I cant get over 30k :shock:
N/A

I’ve had full bandwidth from P2P

Mods:- please feel free to move this query to a more suitable conversation if to far Off Topic

I admit to never having used torrents but wondering what are the benefits of them.... there must be some as a lot fo people swear by them.

If I may quote an example

I see a lot of people discussing the speed (or lack of) of torrents.The other day I decided to experiment with Linux with a view to installing it on my wifes machine. I then proceeded to down the full version of Suse 9 Professional all 5 Cd's worth from the Suse website and noted that the download speed never dropped below 228k.

Just wondering with the subject of this conversation what the advantages would be if I had used a p2p programme instead? Apart from the fact that something may not be available any other way........... but just going on the fact that I have seen a number of people using p2p to download Linux versions, and wondering why thats all
HellFire
Grafter

People use P2P because the software is free and that’s the only reason
N/A

People use P2P because the software is free and that’s the only reason

Fair enough...... I can live with that :-)

Thanks
michaelscott
Grafter

Using P2P for Linux distros saves the vendors bandwidth and money.
N/A

Hi,

What account does your Account Summary page say? According to your hostname you're on a Plus account (which would result in poor P2P performance), but if you should be on a Premier account then something's not right.

You should raise a link:contact us ticket or call in to get it looked at.
N/A

meh

speeds overall have been very bad. I was with 1MB pipex and that was faster than this so called 2MB line. With is, traffic shaping and all the other things I have seen I will be moving to freedom2surf after this 1 month contract is over. I think ofcom needs to start looking into thses rogue traders and boot them off the network, because companies like this should be ended.
Community Veteran

Plusnet are far from rouge traders. they are far from pefect as well. have you done the BT speed tests? Has there been an error in the system so you have been assigned a broadband plus profile?

I have an excellent connection through plusnet, I get goos speeds wheneve I want to download something and always find customer support helpful.

The only issues I have with plusnet are public relations issues, the service for most is second to none.

and before you say it I don't work for plusnet as I live nowhere near Sheffield.
FireStorm
Grafter

Torrent

Im a prem account holder - am currently downloading at >100kps. must be the seeders being tight to ya :-p
N/A

my bittorent speeds generally suck big time, that's why i'm leaving :twisted: