Grafter

Bitcomet Limewire 0kb/s

p2p= GB's of bandwidth
gaming etc = MB's bandwidth

its a simple matter of costs.
22 REPLIES
N/A

Bitcomet Limewire 0kb/s

WTF why i allways get 0kb/s when i download music or demo version games.
N/A

Bitcomet Limewire 0kb/s

During the night when using Azureus torrents it runs a bit better but during the day it's very poor D/L speeds.
N/A

Bitcomet Limewire 0kb/s

because plusNET badly internet provider.
N/A

Bitcomet Limewire 0kb/s

because plusNET badly internet provider.

They ain't just bad, they're dogsh*te from another dimension. They can't handle the network properly, and have resorted to essentially turning P2P off. Like someone else said in another thread, basically PN are rogue traders that should be avoided at all costs.
N/A

Bitcomet Limewire 0kb/s

It does seem that P2P is not welcome on Plusnet.
The thing is it's only after you join that they start changing things and they don't make it clear when you are reading their terms and thinking of joining what you can and cannot do.
At least I don't remember reading a year ago when I joined about download limits at peak or off peak and P2P throttling.
Liam
Grafter

Bitcomet Limewire 0kb/s

P2P will always be given the lowest priority on our network. Otherwise it will take everything we throw at it.

We prioritise time sensitive activities such as Gaming, VoIP, Web Browsing etc... and then allocate whatever is left to P2P and Usenet downloading. The exception to this is on our PAYG product.

You will find, however, that at off-peak times (i.e. Overnight) P2P will perform much better, as there is less Gaming, VoIP, We Browsing etc... on the network.

What product are you on? Broadband Plus, for example, is not designed for P2P and will not perform as well as it would on Premier or PAYG.

The wholesale costs of providing bandwidth means that we must be proactive about managing our network. But rather than contend all traffic together - we operate prioritisation to ensure a 'snappy' experience of the time sensitive activities at all times.
N/A

Bitcomet Limewire 0kb/s

Why does gaming and voip rank higher than p2p? Dont we all pay the same so why if you are a gamer do you get priority? To p2p users their needs are just as important and they pay the same as the gamers(assuming they are all on the same service)
N/A

Bitcomet Limewire 0kb/s

VoIP = a useful service for people to talk to each other, not illegal(yet skype is p2p -- odd)
Games = rely on good ping times to work, if you don't get priority your pings go up, games become unplayable, loads of people get moody at plusNet, also not illegal.

P2P(not FTP!) = eats all the BW you give it for uploads/downloads,mostly illegal downloads, not cost effective for plusNet to advertises being a good P2P ISP as it uses a lot more bw than any other protocol.

Note, the two NON illegal(I doubt you can be illegal at all with them) get the best priority, also they are the most sensitive to high pings/lag, where as the one that is not effected by ping times/latency , eats loads of bw, and in most cases is used for warez et al gets the lowest -- seems totally fair to me.

Oh and P2P uses more bandwidth than say VoIP, and thus, the user that only uses VoIP gets "less" usage than one that uses P2P, thus, they get totally different services, if you want to use P2P go to an ISP that does not mind...(or stop using P2P)
N/A

Bitcomet Limewire 0kb/s

"What product are you on? Broadband Plus, for example, is not designed for P2P and will not perform as well as it would on Premier or PAYG".

But I don't remember reading that in the Plusnet terms when I signed up a year ago.
I don't do a lot of downloading perhaps once a week I may look for some songs.Sometimes it's weeks and weeks before I decide to look for a song. I just wish Plusnet would have everything clearly written on the sign up page. I don't recall anything whatsoever about download limits or P2P when I signed up.

It's a bit like joining BT and after 3 months you get a letter saying from now on you can't use the telephone between 6-12 midnite. If you do the quality will be very poor and you may not hear the other party.

Or if you buy a Tv with a 12 month guarantee and a month later you get a letter from Currys saying we are now only giving a 6 month guarantee and if you want a 12 month guarantee you have to pay extra.

If Plusnet do alter the terms and condition after you join then there should be a provision to release you without penalty if the service is no longer suitable for you.

I do understand having to prioritize traffic etc but you keep changing the rules and then saying to the customer we don't allow this or that you need to change to a more expensive product.Then the customer may have to pay and admin fee for a MAC code or an admin fee to close the account if they are forced to find another ISP because of the constant rule changes. Every rule in the contract is written to favour the company.
N/A

Bitcomet Limewire 0kb/s

P2P will always be given the lowest priority on our network. Otherwise it will take everything we throw at it.

We prioritise time sensitive activities such as Gaming, VoIP, Web Browsing etc... and then allocate whatever is left to P2P and Usenet downloading. The exception to this is on our PAYG product.

You will find, however, that at off-peak times (i.e. Overnight) P2P will perform much better, as there is less Gaming, VoIP, We Browsing etc... on the network.

What product are you on? Broadband Plus, for example, is not designed for P2P and will not perform as well as it would on Premier or PAYG.

The wholesale costs of providing bandwidth means that we must be proactive about managing our network. But rather than contend all traffic together - we operate prioritisation to ensure a 'snappy' experience of the time sensitive activities at all times.

This post really beggars belief :shock: :shock: :shock:

1) "P2P will always be given the lowest priority on our network"

My God, do I really see this rightHuh? And how come I(and nobody else for that matter) wasn't told that when I joined (upgraded). All we were told is that our speeds will go through the roof, happy days etc. Bunch of deceiving (CENSORED)

2) "You will find, however, that at off-peak times (i.e. Overnight) P2P will perform much better, as there is less Gaming, VoIP, We Browsing etc"

Wow, words of wisdom....So I am a second class client even though I pay the same rate as gamers etc. Pure discrimination, which is fine if you want to run your business that way, but how come we weren't told about this company strategy when signing the dotted? Changing goalposts at will!!!

3) "What product are you on? Broadband Plus, for example, is not designed for P2P and will not perform as well as it would on Premier or PAYG."

Ha, ha... How bad does it get on Broadband plusHuh I am on Premier (wow,how pompous that name sounds) and for most of the time I can't get more then 10-15 Kb/s ie. worse then dial-up :x

4) "The wholesale costs of providing bandwidth means that we must be proactive about managing our network. But rather than contend all traffic together - we operate prioritisation to ensure a 'snappy' experience of the time sensitive activities at all times"

Prioritisation at my expense, very nice indeed... But P2P is also time sensitive, it is not my idea of fun to have to wait 3 days to download a movie of 600Mb which on 5Mb connection I should have ready in 45 or so minutes. DISGRACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This doesn't get any worse. I will be leaving as soon as I do my research on my new ISP.
Will be shouting on top of my lungs in every forum I visit, and if I can deter only one sucker from signing with this deceiving bunch of (CENSORED) I will see it as a success!
N/A

The truth hurts - unless your called PN !!

Read the posts above and ...Deja Vu .... been here before

We all pay the same whatever we are on ( BBplus , prem etc ) so why should P2P be pushed to the bottom of the list.

Perhaps we have all missed the point ....

deep down in side the vast majority of IT technicians are nerdy gamer types who loath the P2P types .
PlusNet is run by IT technicians

More to the point PN need to see that we are the customers and they are the SERVICE PROVIDORS - only your not listening to your customers, you're still happy to run PN as some IT club that will gladly exclude people( customers) who dare to ask for the service they are paying for.

So what's wrong with P2P?

PN need to get real - conterfeit goods and sex are the biggest selling things on the planet. P2P is one of the biggest providers of this - pureTNA ( a sex vid torrent site) has over 1.5 million members all swapping sex vids !. There are loads of other torrent sites with films , apps and console games .
Clearly there is a demand but PN appear to be reluctant to be linked to anything that could be illegal , hence the squeeze on P2P. Too late - you and every other ISP are supporting this and every other scam on the net .

Plusnet .... you're not proving the service that your customers are paying for , in the outside world ( and even in Sheffield ) you would be reported to the Trading standards .

As some one has been 'upgraded' to MAX I cannot see any major improvement in my speeds - why is this ? 'Cuase PN have capped my connection eventhough my line can handle 8MB

looks like one of a growing list of unhappy customers
batdesign
Dabbler

Bitcomet Limewire 0kb/s

Would it be so difficult for Plusnet to create an account that allowed full speed P2P up to a certain bandwidth limit, and then throttle speed in stages up to a maximum?
I understand that P2P can eat up bandwidth, but there are a lot of users out there who want to use P2P only occasionally, or for low bandwidth uses, and they should not be punished.
Surely the point of the bandwidth usage limits is to keep usage within certain bounds, so why the need to keep P2P speeds so low? So what if a user hits their bandwidth ceiling in one day then spend the rest of the month at snail speed? At least give them the option...
Or just charge more for higher bandwidth limits...
There are other solutions than the current wholesale throttling of P2P speeds. It would be nice to see Plusnet trying to please their customers, whilst making a tidy profit from them. I'm sure plenty of people out there would pay more for more bandwidth if the P2P speed made it worthwhile using at all.
Zathras
Grafter

Bitcomet Limewire 0kb/s

It exists already, more or less, PAYG.
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Bitcomet Limewire 0kb/s

My view on this is similar. Plusnet are doing the right thing with P2P but should offer the option for people to pay the real cost of their P2P downloads. How ever much capacity you give to P2P people will use it the trick is to make sure they pay a fair price for it. Web browsing noy P2P is the most important activity for most users. Gaming is also popular and does not use vast quantities of capacity.