cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BitTorrent

N/A

BitTorrent

Had my first forray into torrents today and i was wondering if the traffic shaping means a cap in usage of our connections on P2P?

My friend says he gets 400KB/s (4MB connection) on the same files/trackers as I get 40KB/s on (2MB connection).

I've forwarded all ports right etc etc.... Just curious to whether this means I have a limited speed or not?

Thank you,

Mark Pringle
20 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

BitTorrent

Depends what time of day you're doing it.
6 am to mid day should give you practically full speed if you're set up right and there are enough seeds etc.
At tea time onwards through the evening, you can expect to be slowed down.

It may help to set encryption on as this is rumoured to evade the Plusnet packet snooper, but I can't say I've noticed it making any difference to mine.

It may also help to change well away from the default ports, as many torrent sites block a range of ports around the default ones.

Problems with P2P tend though to be incorrect port forwarding or not enough seeds.
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

Re: BitTorrent

Had my first forray into torrents today and i was wondering if the traffic shaping means a cap in usage of our connections on P2P?

My friend says he gets 400KB/s (4MB connection) on the same files/trackers as I get 40KB/s on (2MB connection).

I've forwarded all ports right etc etc.... Just curious to whether this means I have a limited speed or not?

Thank you,

Mark Pringle

also depends on the number of seeders/leechers on the torrent too mate Wink
dennisb66
Grafter

BitTorrent

Can anyone tell me what the best NAT PORT is when downloading a torrent :?: .
I have tried torrents default 6881 also 49491 and others but but keep getting a NAT error when i test. My torrent stays on YELLOW status all the time,
I am useing a Cable and Wireless ADSL router. Wink
Alecto
Grafter

BitTorrent

If you've moved away from the default ports and are still getting only yellow faces, it will probably be a port forwarding problem.

Have a look on This Guide to check how to do it for your router.
If you're using Azureus you can run the NAT test under Tools to check this.
deadkenny
Grafter

BitTorrent

Depends what time of day you're doing it.
6 am to mid day should give you practically full speed if you're set up right and there are enough seeds etc.
At tea time onwards through the evening, you can expect to be slowed down.

Supposedly you'll only get a deliberate slow down if you use over 10GB of "advanced protocols" (bittorrent, usenet, etc) during peak hours in a month. Anything less than that should be unrestricted.

Outside of peak you can use it however you like unrestricted until you hit 100GB a month (for Premier Option 1). Peak is 4pm to midnight.

This assumes you're on the new packages. It depends when your billing date is as to whether you've been moved to the new ones yet.

Of course during peak hours you may also hit contention issues and find a slow down anyway.
Alecto
Grafter

BitTorrent

Supposedly you'll only get a deliberate slow down if you use over 10GB of "advanced protocols" (bittorrent, usenet, etc) during peak hours in a month. Anything less than that should be unrestricted.

Unrestricted if the network isn't busy, but as I was saying, from teatime onwards, there are so many people on that you will not get good speeds. I've never had full speed after about 6pm, and this is not because I'm being penalised for using too much bandwidth, simply because Pn don't have the capacity for everybody who wants to go on in the evening without slowing them down.

And if you look at their list of priorities, P2P is rated "silver" traffic, which comes somewhere below plasticene and scrap iron in the pecking order for bandwidth. :lol:
N/A

BitTorrent

I still get 40 kb/s all of the time which is really annoying.

I've opened ports 10000-50000 and have the port number feature on BitTornado to randomise.

Do I need to open any more in ports? (I have 10k-50k open)

Do I need to open any more out ports? (I have 6969 open)

Using many different kinds of tracker and clients..

All firewall tests have said I'm fine!
N/A

BitTorrent

I still get 40 kb/s all of the time which is really annoying.!

but 40kB/s isn't too bad if the torrents do not have many peers.

I don't use bitTornado, but unless it is very different to other clients you only ever need one port open.

Some ideas:

1. Some clients do give you estimates of the download speeds being acheived by other leechers. Certainly UTorrent does, and ABC so it must be a standard feature. So you can check if other leechers are getting higher rates than you are.

2. WHat have you set as the maximum upload rate? On a 2 meg connection I set it for 17 whilst downloading and 27 when not downloading. It works well for me.

3. Find 2 torrents that each individually get you download at 40kB/s . What speeds do you get if you have them both downloading together.

4. Are you using Peer Exchange (I dont know if bitTornado supports it) I keep it switched off.

Ray
N/A

BitTorrent

... and one other thing.

Check which gateway you are on:

http://users.plus.net/@gateway

You really need to be on PTN-AG1 or PTN-AG2 to get decent speeds. If you are on a PTE or THN gateway, keep rebooting your modem until you get connected to a PTN gateway.

Ray
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

BitTorrent

I still get 40 kb/s all of the time which is really annoying.!

but 40kB/s isn't too bad if the torrents do not have many peers.

I don't use bitTornado, but unless it is very different to other clients you only ever need one port open.

Some ideas:

1. Some clients do give you estimates of the download speeds being acheived by other leechers. Certainly UTorrent does, and ABC so it must be a standard feature. So you can check if other leechers are getting higher rates than you are.

2. WHat have you set as the maximum upload rate? On a 2 meg connection I set it for 17 whilst downloading and 27 when not downloading. It works well for me.

3. Find 2 torrents that each individually get you download at 40kB/s . What speeds do you get if you have them both downloading together.

4. Are you using Peer Exchange (I dont know if bitTornado supports it) I keep it switched off.

Ray

how many seeders and leechers are there
N/A

BitTorrent

You only need to open one port for both TCP and UDP. you have opened 40000 by the looks of it.
N/A

BitTorrent

Usually im the first to agree with the peak time being slower but having just downloaded two things that maxed my line out im suprisingly chipper about it today Smiley

Mind you it might change tommorow when i go back to my badly seeded one. Bah. Tongue
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

BitTorrent

Usually im the first to agree with the peak time being slower but having just downloaded two things that maxed my line out im suprisingly chipper about it today Smiley

Mind you it might change tommorow when i go back to my badly seeded one. Bah. Tongue

i noticed speeds were slower last night on the torrents but i had some management applied to my account i raised a ticket as my billing day was on the 15th but due to the bank holiday it wouldnt have gone through till today i think so tonight i should have full speeds again.....

well i can hope.... :lol:
N/A

BitTorrent

Awesome.

I just got 120 KB/s on a download, the last 80 KB/s of possible speed may be explained by the busy time.

I'm on PTN-AG1 (I think it is, it's a PTN one anyway)...